• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Jon Jones wants to retire at 30...

Saw this the other day: http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news/439922/Jones-wants-to-retire-at-30-with-good-head-on-my-shoulders/

Not a bad plan, either. We'll see if he sticks to it, but at the moment, he seems pretty set.

That brings up a good point about competition in general. We have seen what results can come from Boxers with long careers, and other heavy contact sports in general, like the NFL, and how it can affect an athletes quality of life in the future. So, setting a retire date like this isn't a bad idea, especially in a sport like MMA.

Aside from that, is the "going out on top" aspect of it. How do you feel about those who appear to try to "hang on too long," and end up retiring so much lower than what they were in their prime? For me, I think its up to the fighter personally to decide this. Some just love to compete, whether they are winning or not. And if they love to compete that much, then who should decide when they are done other than them?

Anywho, just a few topics for discussion. I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts? Also, I'd like to hear from any Jon Jones fans on this decision, as well. :karate:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

With things like this, you just have to make the decision that you can live with. I can understand why athletes come back as long as they can, I can understand why some leave early. Neither is right or wrong, it's just their path. You don't want to wonder "what if?"

Patrick

It's his choice and if that's what he wants to do, then I support him!! There's a lot of wear and tear from the sports he's involved in.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!