• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I recently became a brown belt in Tang Soo Do and I don't know all that many take downs so does anyone have any ideas? Please explain how to do it too. Thanks in advance.

First of all, welcome to the forum, Michael!

As far as your question goes, I'm afraid we can only be of so much assistance--it's always best to learn takedowns from a qualified instructor, both to learn to do it effectively AND to learn to do it safely. If you have the opportunity to cross train at a local judo/JJJ/BJJ/Sambo/wrestling/etc. club, I highly recommend it! That is going to be the best way for you to learn grappling, because there are just too many subtleties to be able to learn properly without an experienced instructor and partners. That said, I would be happy to suggest techniques to ask about when you go to those places!

Double-Leg Takedown

Single-Leg Takedown

O-Soto Gari (major outer reap)

O-Goshi (big hip throw)

Deashi Barrai (advancing foot sweep)

Ko-Soto Gari (minor outer reap)

O-Uchi Gari (major inner reap)

Ko-Uchi Gari (minor inner reap)

Hip Spring (as done in Sambo and Okinawa Shima, not the same as the "spring hip" throw in judo)

Sumi Gaeshi (corner reversal, a sacrifice throw to the front)

Tani Otoshi (valley drop, a sacrifice throw to the back)

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

That's good advise. You could talk to your instructor and ask if there are any sweeping techniques he is familiar with, as well.

How old are you, Michael? If you have access to a high school, or are friends with a Wrestler, then get with him and see if he can take you through some of the basics of some takedowns. There are lots of variations to the single and double leg takedowns, so lots of info to take in, depending on how deep you want to go with it. If you are in high school, I would even recommend going out for Wrestling. You will learn lots, and the conditioning is great.

Aside from that, you can always do a search on youtube, but there will be a lot out there, so sorting the quality from the not-so-much could be a chore. I would recommend this option last of all, but it is still an option.

Good luck with your training, and please fill us in on what you learn! Welcome to KarateForums.com! :karate:

Logically speaking, you do a striking art and don't know takedowns. From this I conclude that you don't have grappling skill. With this in mind, what good does a takedown do?

If you want to round out your skill as a general martial artist, find a wrestler or a BJJ guy who wants a little extra mat time to train with. You'll get the takedowns and the ground work that follows putting someone on the ground.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

Logically speaking, you do a striking art and don't know takedowns. From this I conclude that you don't have grappling skill. With this in mind, what good does a takedown do?

If you want to round out your skill as a general martial artist, find a wrestler or a BJJ guy who wants a little extra mat time to train with. You'll get the takedowns and the ground work that follows putting someone on the ground.

Great advice.

I recently became a brown belt in Tang Soo Do and I don't know all that many take downs so does anyone have any ideas? Please explain how to do it too. Thanks in advance.

Yes, Welcome to KF!!

Visit schools of the MA that's core is of grappling. For example, BJJ, Judo, and Hwa Rang Do, do name just a few.

I'd say that's what I'd do. If one wants tomatoes, then one has to visit the tomatoe vendor. If one wants to learn how to grapple, then visit schools of the MA that teach grappling.

Good luck!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Well it is actually Tang Soo Do with a little Jiu Jitsu mixed in so we do some take downs. Also, I'm going to be going into high school next year. Thanks for all the advice/ responses.

In that case, your instructor should be familiar with some of the techniques listed here. That said, there are some throws (single leg, double leg, body lock, and suplex all come to mind) that are really best learned through wrestling, and since you're going to be in High School you should definitely either join the wrestling team, or ask someone on the wrestling team to help you out. I understand that some people just don't fit into a wrestling team (I was one of those people), so if that doesn't work for you, I still highly recommend finding a club/school/gym that focuses specifically on a grappling art.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

I concur with just about everything that everyone has said, including welcome to KF. There's a lot of good advice listed above. For me, looking at the double and single, particularly the power double, is a great tool.

Additionally, consider any type of body lock takedown. These are easy to execute, rely on body weight and mechanics that are often simpler to conduct under stress than other takedowns, and usually present less counter opportunities than others, thus keeping you safer.

Lastly, really think about MP's advice. if you're going to work takedowns, be prepared to capitalize on the advantage you gain by their use.