• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hello, is this video of karate good?

AdamE3

Is what shown in the video, "real karate"?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Is what shown in the video, "real karate"?

• Yes
    • No

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're looking at a highlight reel. This video is full of knockouts and demo cuts, so yeah, what you're seeing is all going to appear "affective." What you don't see is the entire fights, the kicks that don't land, and how they set up these knockouts throughout the course of the match. This video isn't really "proof" of anything. Its meant to entertain and cause "oohs" and "ahs."

There are a couple of different styles cut into that video, and all of them have MA value. Obviously, the kicks are affective, as well. But is it the best way to do things? No. Its a way to do things.

Well, from the knockdown competition- if you can't punch a guy in the face.... jump spin kick him in the face.

Well, its obviously the safer option....

The video shows sport karate and it doesn't show anything else. Having said that, those techniques CAN be effective, I mean, those in the video who were knocked down would say that those techniques felt effective. But, outside of that given venue, well, maybe!

Does it reflect true karate-do? No, it doesn't!! Imho!! There are no points on the street!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Well, from the knockdown competition- if you can't punch a guy in the face.... jump spin kick him in the face.

Well, its obviously the safer option....

Hm, that does confuse me. At my dojo, we can only use semi-contact, but I just noticed how they are actually hitting with full force in some of these videos.

Is this really allowed? You could kill a person by doing this.

It is allowed. Karate is not just one martial art; it has many facets and mind sets; ways of thinking if you like. Each tradition can be radically different, and each style can have real variation within it, depending on the teacher. In as little as 50 years, for example, my style Shukokai has evolved and developed many different focus and emphasis; some advocate the speed of technique, science and a pure analytical system of physical development. Others, still within my style of Karate advocate a peaceful, calm relaxed approach. Some are spiritual and consider Karate to be a vehicle for the development of the soul. Others are pure fighting machines, their emphasis is on nutrition and building the advanced physical specimen. The best Sensei will allow you to find your own path within this diverse world of what looks all similar on the outside. To the untrained eye, it looks all the same; but when you consider the Mind, Body and Spirit of each Karateka; their Universes can be worlds apart. Open your mind, put your toe into the great pond, feel your way, your teacher will appear when you are ready - This is the Zen of Karatedo.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

Shotokai? I never heard of that term of Karate, but I see.

This is a video compiled of different karate styles, opposed to 1 single style. I failed to see that before you pointed it out, thanks :)

But yet, I still think the techniques look "cool".

Shotokai - is a very early break away from Shotokan, but Harkon72 was talking of Shukokai. They are a version of Shito Ryu. Shito Ryu is a style combining both parent arts of Karate : Shorin Ryu and Goju Ryu and was devloped in the 1930's onward. Shukokai, is a 1960's development of Shito Ryu.

As for the video, yes the clips are 'cool', but lack context. So the orginal questions can't be answered.

If you believe in an ideal. You don't own it ; it owns you.

Shotokai? I never heard of that term of Karate, but I see.

This is a video compiled of different karate styles, opposed to 1 single style. I failed to see that before you pointed it out, thanks :)

But yet, I still think the techniques look "cool".

Shotokai - is a very early break away from Shotokan, but Harkon72 was talking of Shukokai. They are a version of Shito Ryu. Shito Ryu is a style combining both parent arts of Karate : Shorin Ryu and Goju Ryu and was devloped in the 1930's onward. Shukokai, is a 1960's development of Shito Ryu.

As for the video, yes the clips are 'cool', but lack context. So the orginal questions can't be answered.

Thank you, it clarified my question. Now it makes a lot more sense.

I think its a hard style and people practicing Kyokushin are some of the toughest guys out there, owing to their physical conditioning. There are very few styles or clubs that have such an approach to Karate. Mike Tyson had said" everybody has a plan till they get hit". Kyokushin training or tournaments for me personally, are more for conditioning and building up your own mind and body to take punishment than to inflict punishment on your opponent or to knock them out.

Having said that, the dynamics of the fights would be completely different if strikes to the head were allowed, kin-geri's to the groin, mae giri's to the bladder/lower abdomen, kansetsu geri to the knees, haito's and shuto's to the throat etc were allowed. The distance of fighting would change and then I wonder how effective these kicks would be? (maybe some of the more experienced people can shed some light) No one can condition themselves to withstand kicks to the groin (Shaolin monks and some individuals are an exception). From a self defence perspective, Kyokushin is good cause the people are conditioned but how effective would the high kicks be on a rainy day on the street, wearing jeans or heels and having alochol in your system would depend on the person fighting.

For information sake, the video between 1:15 - 1:58 shows Gogen Yamaguchi's 3'rd son Goshi Yamaguchi and the current head of the International Karate-Do Goju Kai Association. The first clip is from a tournament's opening ceremony where he is doing a bunkai for one of the higher katas ( I am sorry, I dont know these kata's. They are above my grade level but you can see the characteristic influence of Gojy-Ryu, the circular Kake Uke blocks) with one of Gogen Yamaguchi's senior most students (the bald guy with the beard). He is one of the senior members of the Japanese chapter. He was rumored to be one of the toughest fighters when jiyu kumite was prevalent in the olden days.

The other clips of Goshi Yamaguchi are from his instructional video with his son (Gohei yamaguchi). Bits and pieces are from some Yakusoku Kumite drills. All the demonstrations are pre arranged and you need to attain an high level of proficiency to be able to use some of the techniques effectively.

The value in the Shihan level katas is more spiritual and mental than fighting. The higher katas are only performed by people that have mastered every aspect of karate (kihon, kata,kumite). So they dont serve a purpose of preparing some one for a fight. For info sake, if you want to see some "master level" katas, then look at the higher katas namely "Genkaku" performed by Goshi Yamaguchi or Ingo De Jong on youtube. Goshi Yamaguchi developed it as it was one of Gogen Yamaguchi's wishes to see katas being developed using the Chinese white crane influence and thats why you will see the strikes are performed using "keko" the top part of your fist (shaped like a beak in the clips).

I personally dont see these techniques being as effective as basic punches such as front punch (kizami), reverse punch, upright punches, elbows, head butts, palm heel strike, low kicks to the groin and bladder area. As a matter of fact, we are encouraged to use low kicks in sparring