• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hello, is this video of karate good?

AdamE3

Is what shown in the video, "real karate"?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Is what shown in the video, "real karate"?

• Yes
    • No

Hello,

I have been training more sparring lately, as I was advised to. Then I found this video, which basically shows how to knock out an opponent quickly and in a neat way, but solely with kicks?

Does this really reflect real karate values or is it just some type of lame branch with too many flashy attacks?

What do you think?

^That is the link.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of those kicks in the one on one sparring may seem to be effective but they are technically power shots with not much true karate technique. You would have to throw a few to pick out a good one, the video obviously shows the highlights. The video of the group with a receiving karateka in the middle is better; there is more control and the technique is not so brutal looking. The older clips are showing good form, done by master karateka. I also like the Kata clip of the guy in the split-skirt; this shows the more refined side of Karatedo. Over-all not a bad movie.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

Flashy editing, speeding up and slowing down, spoils it really. By spoil, I mean a good review of the techniques 'reality' can't be made.

If you believe in an ideal. You don't own it ; it owns you.

Flashy editing, speeding up and slowing down, spoils it really. By spoil, I mean a good review of the techniques 'reality' can't be made.

I agree. This has alot of good elements in it and alot of poor elements in it. But it's difficult to review due to the poor pace. I would say it's a poor video, which makes it difficult to analyze the karate within.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I assume you're referring to the clips of knockdown competitions where people get knocked out by the jumping spinning hook kick to the head? As mentioned, above, the way the video is edited makes it difficult to really break things down. That said, I think I can still address your question, which is whether the kick (or maybe the styles being shown?) is any good, and whether it represents "real karate values."

That kick is certainly flashy, but it also works quite well when it lands, and due to the rules in knockdown tournaments it is reasonable to throw such a kick. I, personally, wouldn't throw it in self defense, where the floor isn't padded and my attacker might have friends, nor would I throw it in MMA where my attacker could turn the tables on me with grappling and ground-and-pound. That doesn't mean it is a bad technique, though, and I certainly wouldn't say that the knockdown arts being shown are "lame."

As for "karate values," I'm afraid it's hard to say. There are certainly karateka out there who find knockdown competitions (and MMA, for that matter) to be appalling. I'm not one of them. To me, competitions like this are about testing your spirit as much as testing your technique, and I certainly think that is part of what makes karate great--the fact that it forces you to face your own weaknesses and fears in a way that makes you feel both empowered and humbled after you have overcome those adversities.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Most of the video upto 1.30 mins is Kyokushin Knockdown, from 1.30 to 2.00 is a mix of Shotokan and alike, as well as bunch of stuff I've not seen before so cannot even guess at a name!

From about 2.00 onwards its knockdown again ... mostly clips form IKO Knockdown tournaments.

World tournaments to be a little more specific!

Edited by Hawkmoon

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.

hehehehe!

I thought that as well, so I decided to test myslef and went to the UK nationals, had a fantastic time (seriously had a ball) I was beaten by the guy that went on to win the tournament!

but man what a rush!

Worth doing if ever you want to test your self!

Double then triple any and all core work, sit ups etc, and work on leg and arm conditioning.... !!

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.

Shukokai has a different mind set to Kaiokoshinkai; I cannot compare outside my imagination as Goju Ryu and Kaikoshin Schools are not found in North Wales. I have had a few years of Shotokan Karate, I enjoyed it very much. I perceive Kaiokoshin as a style of great Power, but I find the relaxed focus of my present style with it's fluidity and science very satisfying. We wear protection for sparring, and it can end up quite direct; but at the end of the day, the intent is to score not to incapacitate. Good Luck with your Knockdowns, I wish you an injury free time!

Look to the far mountain and see all.

Shotokai? I never heard of that term of Karate, but I see.

This is a video compiled of different karate styles, opposed to 1 single style. I failed to see that before you pointed it out, thanks :)

But yet, I still think the techniques look "cool".