• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The power of the word "now."

As an instructor, like many of you, I've seen a student make the same mistakes over & over. It's frustrating for me, as well as the student. More so the student when I show my frustration to them.

A few years ago I was shown the power of the word "now" in teaching. I was in a seminar with Master Ron Sell, who is the embodiment of enthusiasm for teaching MA. He suggested finding something (anything) in the student's technique & tell them. "Great stance! NOW, turn your wrist over & snap it as you punch." Being encouraging & put the correction as additional encouragement works wonders to positively motivate the student. I use it as often as I can & I've seen the difference in the enthusiasm of my students. I hope you'll find it works for you, too.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
As an instructor, like many of you, I've seen a student make the same mistakes over & over. It's frustrating for me, as well as the student. More so the student when I show my frustration to them.

A few years ago I was shown the power of the word "now" in teaching. I was in a seminar with Master Ron Sell, who is the embodiment of enthusiasm for teaching MA. He suggested finding something (anything) in the student's technique & tell them. "Great stance! NOW, turn your wrist over & snap it as you punch." Being encouraging & put the correction as additional encouragement works wonders to positively motivate the student. I use it as often as I can & I've seen the difference in the enthusiasm of my students. I hope you'll find it works for you, too.

Solid post!! Master Ron Sell is a quality instructor, imho!!

On the subject of an instructor being frustrated with said student(s). I will not tolerate any of my instructors to show frustration to any of our student body because that just increases the students level of frustration. We're to TEACH!! Teaching means to show..to mold..to encourage..to set forth right..to adjust their learning compass..to TEACH them correctly...etc. To bring about within them their "AHA" moment without showing that we're frustrated. This, imho, is a direct attack on the students mindset to learn, and in that, we must show them HOW to do it in such a way that they understand because not all students learn the same way.

Instructors have no right on my floor to show any frustration towards a students learning curve and the like, and if they do, they'll be counseled by myself in my office behind close doors!! I will not tolerate it, nor will I allow any exceptions to that maxim. Otherwise, they've no business, imho, of being an instructor, in that, not all BB can teach!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Instructors have no right on my floor to show any frustration towards a students learning curve and the like, and if they do, they'll be counseled by myself in my office behind close doors!!

I really think that this says it all. As an instructor, it's our job to have a herculean amount of patience sometimes. Not every person gets it right off the bat and it's easy to forget that we were all where that student is at one point. In my experience the best thing to do is as the OP suggests and tell them what they're doing right and coach them on how to better what they fall short on. That not only sets a good example of how to act as a Martial Artist but it harbors loyalty. The student sees that we are willing to be patient with them and coach them through it many times to ensure that they are the best that they can be.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Funny thing is, not only have I used the with students in the dojo, I have also used this same tactic with staff at work, and it gets the same outcome.

Reenforcement + advice = better progressive outcomes.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

• 2 weeks later...
Funny thing is, not only have I used the with students in the dojo, I have also used this same tactic with staff at work, and it gets the same outcome.

Reenforcement + advice = better progressive outcomes.

Agreed. In the ATA, one of the 10 class management skills is to "Give Positive Correction Rather than Criticism." Most students will respond better, and give you a better effort, if you can find something they are doing well, key on it, and then ask for a little more.