• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What is Your Tachikata?

CredoTe

Sorry, some more musing...

The western mind is such that we like set measurements, defined shapes and definitions (quantitative data) in order to help us understand and internalise techniques.

Traditionally however, Japanese martial arts are taught/learnt by observing and doing from a qualitative perspective.

Ask a Japanese instructor how wide a stance is or what is the foot position and chances are, he will demonstrate it in front of you and say – “like this”.

What he is saying is observe and copy (and if necessary I will correct) rather than “it is a shin and two fists wide with feet turned out at 45 degrees”

Don’t get me wrong, I understand why we utilise data and names/descriptions assigned to techniques, but at the end of the day, they are only aids to learn the way our instructor wants us to move, but ultimately they are never "set"!

K.

Usque ad mortem bibendum!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have used Kiba Dachi and Shiko Dachi in my karate training, they are two very different stances. In Shukokai, Yoi dachi is substituted for the Kiba Dachi that appears in Shotokan for example; as in the final part of Pinan/Heian Sandan. Then Shiko Dachi can take the place of Shotokan's Kokutsu Dachi as in Pinan Nidan/Heian Shodan. The difference between the Shiko Dachi and Kibadachi is that the feet and shins are aligned at 90 degrees in Skiko Dachi and are parallel in Kiba Dachi; so making the whole body alignment different. This effects the way you move and focus power in both stances. Shotokan stylists use Kiba Dachi when performing Yoko Geri and Kata such as Tekki Shodan. But in Shukokai, Kiba Dachi is rarely seen.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

Then Shiko Dachi can take the place of Shotokan's Kokutsu Dachi as in Pinan Nidan/Heian Shodan. The difference between the Shiko Dachi and Kibadachi is that the feet and shins are aligned at 90 degrees in Skiko Dachi and are parallel in Kiba Dachi; so making the whole body alignment different. This effects the way you move and focus power in both stances. Shotokan stylists use Kiba Dachi when performing Yoko Geri and Kata such as Tekki Shodan. But in Shukokai, Kiba Dachi is rarely seen.

In this respect, aren't we are talking about different styles interpretation of the kata rather than the definition/etymology of the word?

K.

Over many years I suppose each style and tradition has evolved; but this can happen deceptively quickly as a preference of a master of an art changing said Kata, sometimes quite radically or more subtly. Adaption of Kata and Kihon can be at a stance level that is remarkably subtle at times but quite profound. The alignment and dynamics are what makes a style; and sometimes within a style from one Sensei to another.

Well, that's what "ryu" do.

I wrote about this before.

The important thing is that the core principles remain intact!

Kata is only a way to transmit this. Kata doesn't = style / school.

K.

I've written here about my opinion on this before;

The way I see it; Kihon, Kata, Kumite = Karate.

All the variables of the Above three K's and the way they are performed and thought about in Mind, Body and Spirit give you the Style.

I've written here about my opinion on this before;

The way I see it; Kihon, Kata, Kumite = Karate.

All the variables of the Above three K's and the way they are performed and thought about in Mind, Body and Spirit give you the Style.

Indeed... the "do" or way in Karate-do is the key ;)

K.

Sorry, some more musing...

The western mind is such that we like set measurements, defined shapes and definitions (quantitative data) in order to help us understand and internalise techniques.

Traditionally however, Japanese martial arts are taught/learnt by observing and doing from a qualitative perspective.

Ask a Japanese instructor how wide a stance is or what is the foot position and chances are, he will demonstrate it in front of you and say – “like this”.

What he is saying is observe and copy (and if necessary I will correct) rather than “it is a shin and two fists wide with feet turned out at 45 degrees”

Don’t get me wrong, I understand why we utilise data and names/descriptions assigned to techniques, but at the end of the day, they are only aids to learn the way our instructor wants us to move, but ultimately they are never "set"!

K.

Solid post!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Well, that's what "ryu" do.

I wrote about this before.

The important thing is that the core principles remain intact!

Kata is only a way to transmit this. Kata doesn't = style / school.

K.

Another solid post!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Next Step in Tachikata Training: Stance practice to develop Tachikata into tenshin (footwork / movement / mobility).

How do you practice footwork / movement / mobility with your stances? What drills do you utilize? What partner work do you utilize? Proper tenshin is crucial in controlling your tanden...

:karate:

Remember the Tii!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...