• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

A question about Mauy Thai

True, the more you condition, the more it'll wear on you, but have you ever tried hitting anything with your shins before? You need to build up the pain tolerance there. I think, though, that maybe this page has gotten a bit off track. If you're looking for a practical art, then yes, mauay thai may be for you. Any art, sport, or activity will wear on you eventually, though. You've just got to figure out which art is right for you, be it competitive, reflective, or recreational.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, it happens like the boxers, you can do it very well while you are young, but when you're old, you can suffer of Parkinson, difficulties to walk, etc..

Of course, it all depends about how intensive your training is.

Valencia - Venezuela.

Yeah.. I don't think the average muay thai person will have any problems. It's like any other sport, once you get old you just aren't that great. But then do you really want to keep fighting until you're 60 or something? I dunno, but I would rather just golf and do some tai chi. :)

• 2 months later...

I know of quite a few muai thai fighters over thirty and all of whom I am aware are in relatively good shape for an adult their age.

Granted there is the cumulative impact of repeated injuries, but it seems that it doesn't necessarily result from the conditioning required to compete at an elite level of competition.

yeah ok there are stories about older thai fighters barley being able to walk but have you looked at there fight record? i think anybody taking on the amount of fights Thai's have in there career will end up with problems.remember its not a sport for them it's how they make money to live.The majority of us will being doing it to be able to defend ourselfs and compete as a sport.

This Guy is on the money. Do anything to an extreme and your gonna feel some discomfort when your olded, be it football, boxing ect.

later trav :bawling:

Hmm I read on the boards that professional muay thai boxers can barely walk by the time their 30 because of all the hard conditioning, but they

are professionals. Who knows about the average thai boxer...

I read Veerapol Sahaprom was a 3 division Muay Thai champ. He's about 30 now, and he's the best bantum-weight boxer in the world.

• 3 weeks later...
whoops, i might be heading towards the whole old person problem thing. Wondering if punching my pullup bar supports(steel or something) to harden my knuckles will cause problems. I don't do it too often, 3 times a week max. Still, anyone have info on that? :karate:

• 3 weeks later...
Hello, I'm new to this board. The reason I've come here is because I intend to take up martial art agan. I'm interested in ones that teach practical and applicable fighting techniques, and from what I've researched and with the disiciplines that are actively being taught in my area, I hear that Mauy Thai and Lau-Gar are the best, but that Mauy Thai is the superior. My only worry is that I've read a lot of comments saying that because of the intense conditioning, Mauy Thai can induce brittle bones when you get old :o

Can anyone with considerable experience of Mauy Thai tell me if this is true or not, because if that's the case, I'll go with Lau-Gar, since I intend to make every effort to keep my mental and physical faculties intact for as long as possible.

I have no idea what Lau-Gar is,however I am MuayThai Fighter,it is true that we do very intense conditioning like kicking a heavy bag or kicking shields with full force using our shins.

Muay Thai does alot of punching,shin kicks,knees and elbows.we also do stand up neck wrestling.

However I've never heard of a muay thai fighter that induces brittle bones when getting older,it is possible I guess though,but I do know from previous 12yrs.experience in karate that students can get arthritis from hitting makiwara boards all the time and bad knees from doing their stances.

Despite the aggressiveness in Muay Thai there is nothing too much to worry about,you'll keep your for mental and physical faculties intact still for quite a few years.If brittle bones from Muay Thai is true,it would probably be because you haven't done martial arts in along time and now fairly late for taking it up.

You should be alright though,I'm 33 yrs old and have only fought Muay Thai for 4 yrs.before that it was karate.I've been in martial arts for 16yrs.

I've been hurt in MuayThai but nothing too serious,but then again it's probably because I'm used to sparring.

I actually train in Pankration,but fight MuayThai.

Pankration=Muay Thai combined with Submission Wrestling. :idea:

Hello,

Yes, most girls look for fitness not a real fighting but there is always exception for some girls... ;-))

wink..wink

Its' me!! ...Cheeky Pixie...... EEERRRRRRgggg!!!

----- @^.^@ ----- TKD - Yellow Belt

Hello,

I think this is easy to find Lau Gar information in website.

Lau Gar is being one of 5 mainstream southern boxing schools.

They are namely, Hung, Lau, Choi, Lee and Mok.

Compared with Hung Gar, Lau Gar with closer attack

range. But now Lau Gar almost disappeared in Hong Kong while

maybe still some in South East Asia or Guangdong Province in China.

Anyway, I am always thinking that Wing Chun

is the most suitable martial art for girl.

Muay Thai for girl? I don't think so.

Darkness grants me pair of dark black eye,

Yet I determine to look for Brightness