• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

A question about Mauy Thai

Hello, I'm new to this board. The reason I've come here is because I intend to take up martial art agan. I'm interested in ones that teach practical and applicable fighting techniques, and from what I've researched and with the disiciplines that are actively being taught in my area, I hear that Mauy Thai and Lau-Gar are the best, but that Mauy Thai is the superior. My only worry is that I've read a lot of comments saying that because of the intense conditioning, Mauy Thai can induce brittle bones when you get old :o

Can anyone with considerable experience of Mauy Thai tell me if this is true or not, because if that's the case, I'll go with Lau-Gar, since I intend to make every effort to keep my mental and physical faculties intact for as long as possible.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps you can still train intensively in Muay Thai, but without the extreme shin-conditioning and full-contact fights which allow your bones and shins to clash with the likes of others....but if you give that up, it might seem to you that you are missing the point of Muay Thai. Anyhow, I think that you can still become proficient by doing hard-core training on heavy bags and by shadow boxing or sparring with training partners. It also depends if you are training for the purpose of becoming really in shape and tough or just someone who actually needs to apply his work to real life and beat someone down (or you live for the actual fight in the ring). :)

'Conviction is a luxury for those on the sidelines'

William Parcher, 'A BEAUTIFUL MIND'

yeah ok there are stories about older thai fighters barley being able to walk but have you looked at there fight record? i think anybody taking on the amount of fights Thai's have in there career will end up with problems.remember its not a sport for them it's how they make money to live.The majority of us will being doing it to be able to defend ourselfs and compete as a sport.

pain is temporary, pride is forever!

Hmm yeah I asked this at another forum Tweedy, and they said that as long as you don't condition your shins by kicking bats or trees and you only condition them by kicking the heavy bag you will be perfectly fine. Still I'm doubtful you'll be able to do it once you're 50 because it's full contact fighting, at that time you could always start tai chi though.