• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do you guys use Vine? Vine of my son...

I don't think knockdown styles are coduits for thuggery. There is an art to taking a hit and delivering one. In self-defense, you have to hit, and know how your body reacts when a full-force technique is interrupted by a target.

As far as the spinning hook kick to the head, and the follow through goes...

Try DWx's suggestion of using the ball of the foot as the contact point. Also, target the chin/cheek area. Another point to consider is where the pivot foot is pointing at the moment of contact. If kicking with the right leg, instead of having the pivot foot pointed directly behind you at the point of contact, it should be pointed at 90 degrees from the target. This allows you to drive the kick through the target, and continue the spin, or just rechamber and set down in front.

Instead of using BOB, use a clapper or other target pad for training the kick, that way you get the follow through. Also practice different ways of kicking with the foot, using heel, ball, toes, etc.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True, art is as art does I suppose.

I am experimenting with the kick at the moment; some say you should drive it, some say you should let the weight of your foot go in a more relaxed fashion.

I suppose the less tension you have in your body, the less tired you will get; but then again, if this kick is a finisher - the fight is soon over.

Thank you for the advice, I'm really looking forward to the next session at the Dojo now! :)

Look to the far mountain and see all.

I don't think knockdown styles are coduits for thuggery. There is an art to taking a hit and delivering one. In self-defense, you have to hit, and know how your body reacts when a full-force technique is interrupted by a target.

As far as the spinning hook kick to the head, and the follow through goes...

Try DWx's suggestion of using the ball of the foot as the contact point. Also, target the chin/cheek area. Another point to consider is where the pivot foot is pointing at the moment of contact. If kicking with the right leg, instead of having the pivot foot pointed directly behind you at the point of contact, it should be pointed at 90 degrees from the target. This allows you to drive the kick through the target, and continue the spin, or just rechamber and set down in front.

Instead of using BOB, use a clapper or other target pad for training the kick, that way you get the follow through. Also practice different ways of kicking with the foot, using heel, ball, toes, etc.

I will! Thanks for tips...we have hand pads so...