• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Where the Karatedo Begins

Harkon72

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
As my old sensei once said to me - "the day you feel at your lowest, is the day when you are most vulnerable to attack".

So go to Keiko when you are at a “low ebb” and work through it. This process can only make you stronger in the end.

K.

Solid post!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Tonight I was tired before going to the Dojo. I had not trained properly this week, had not had sleep that was good for me all week either. In truth I was in no state to train. I bowed at the door to see my Sensei standing there, alone. "It's just you and me tonight Gareth San!" usually I love these sessions but my heart fell, I was dreading it and Sensei Eric could see it. I began my warm up, a long story short, at the end of it my lungs did not have the capacity I required. Then before a second breath, it was straight into Kihon; my Mind was screaming Stop! Stop! my Sensei said "Three more!" then "Three more!" again. He wouldn't let me finish each technique until I showed proper form. Then it was the Kata. "Matsukaze", again and again. My only break was when Sensei started me again after each mistake. Then, I felt no pain; my Spirit brought forth the insight of the Bunkai to each technique. My Sensei showed me the true depth of the Kata, physically showing me each weakness in his and my own body. He showed me positively lethal technique which I absorbed to my Soul. The Spirit can take you further than your Mind can Imagine. Where the Body tells you to stop is where the true Karatedo begins.

Solid OP, very solid!!

Over the many, many years, I've experienced these wonderful moments like you've described with my own Dai-Soke an untold amount of times because that was his way. At times, he'd call them a "test" and at other times he'd call them a "rememberance", and still, at other times he'd call them a "visit".

Thank you for your post!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Tonight I was tired before going to the Dojo. I had not trained properly this week, had not had sleep that was good for me all week either. In truth I was in no state to train. I bowed at the door to see my Sensei standing there, alone. "It's just you and me tonight Gareth San!" usually I love these sessions but my heart fell, I was dreading it and Sensei Eric could see it. I began my warm up, a long story short, at the end of it my lungs did not have the capacity I required. Then before a second breath, it was straight into Kihon; my Mind was screaming Stop! Stop! my Sensei said "Three more!" then "Three more!" again. He wouldn't let me finish each technique until I showed proper form. Then it was the Kata. "Matsukaze", again and again. My only break was when Sensei started me again after each mistake. Then, I felt no pain; my Spirit brought forth the insight of the Bunkai to each technique. My Sensei showed me the true depth of the Kata, physically showing me each weakness in his and my own body. He showed me positively lethal technique which I absorbed to my Soul. The Spirit can take you further than your Mind can Imagine. Where the Body tells you to stop is where the true Karatedo begins.

I think that there's a clear distinction between mental and physical exhaustion. And I treat each differently. With the physical, I generally willpower my way past it.

But right or wrong, I cease to train when it's no longer fun rather than push it to mental burn out. When I run into a mental wall, I take a couple of days off to recoup before restarting.