• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Need Help: Dojo Sparring Practices

Jeffthefurrydog

I am confused by this issue, I do like the idea of making some form of contact when sparring, but in Shotokan it's not usually full contact. Semi at best. Which begs the question, how does one apply proper technique if you're not allowed to make contact with your opponent?

Punching bags, makiwara boards, punching pads. Or gear up your dojo buddy and get him to agree to be your human punching bag.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am confused by this issue, I do like the idea of making some form of contact when sparring, but in Shotokan it's not usually full contact. Semi at best. Which begs the question, how does one apply proper technique if you're not allowed to make contact with your opponent?

Punching bags, makiwara boards, punching pads. Or gear up your dojo buddy and get him to agree to be your human punching bag.

Hmm I see, My Sensei doesn't let us use the Makiwara baords now because apparently people 'hurt themselves' ¬_¬

"It's not the style that's important, it's the practitioner. No style is superior to the other if you practice and train hard, ANY style can be effective."

- Me!!!!!!!

Hmm I see, My Sensei doesn't let us use the Makiwara baords now because apparently people 'hurt themselves'¬_¬

Imho,

People hurt themselves because they're not being properly taught/trained how to use the makawara pad. Discomfort, yes, being hurt, NO!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Hmm I see, My Sensei doesn't let us use the Makiwara baords now because apparently people 'hurt themselves'¬_¬

Imho,

People hurt themselves because they're not being properly taught/trained how to use the makawara pad. Discomfort, yes, being hurt, NO!!

Absolutely! Great post :)

Remember the Tii!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

No, not in my opinion; you can expect some discomfort, but the makiwara is not designed to condition the surface of the skin. It's a tool for strengthening the whole mechanics and components of the technique. If you want to condition your skin, use hot sand or aloe vera.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

Imho,

That's what I was working on, and was good at it too. Shame he got rid of them.

"It's not the style that's important, it's the practitioner. No style is superior to the other if you practice and train hard, ANY style can be effective."

- Me!!!!!!!

Imho,

That's what I was working on, and was good at it too. Shame he got rid of them.

…..the 'pain' is mainly and in the earlier stages due to striking the board way to hard!

The blood is your body (skin) saying "Wow! hold on I'm not tough enough to do this!"

What is a great way to get the knuckles up to taking that level of abuse is pushups!

Pushups on your knuckles!

First two knuckles only!

Once you can do pushups like this, and as often as you do 'normal' push up (palms) then got to the board!

(e.g: If you do 40-50 or more a session, the ‘normal way’, then once you can do 40-50 on knuckles time to hit the board)

Do so at low power, never never go 100% on it!

Keep a simple tempo not fast and not to slow, count to 2 for example, that’s strike and return = 2 count.

Swop hand same again!

It’s the repetition you are after not power, god not power!

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.