• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Brown Belt Goju Ryu questions

AdamE3

Hello, I am Adam.

I have a brown belt and have been training karate for 4 years.

When we do kumite, there is always one guy who keeps making tricky attacks (that means, attacks with no karate based content, but just punches flying everywhere).

In sparring, its not allowed to punch hard or block hard, but I struggle to keep his punches coming from every direction.

I however figured that an inexperienced fighter would also refrain from using proper techniques, due to the lack of experience in fighting.

So I was wondering, what is the proper way to defend your in a spam of attacks? Our dojo is small, so I always get to block every punch and kick, until I get to a corner/wall. It's frustrating and I must note that its only this person I have this trouble with, he is also lower rank than me.

Thank you for your kind advices!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Hello, I am Adam.

When we do kumite, there is always one guy who keeps making tricky attacks (that means, attacks with no karate based content, but just punches flying everywhere).

In sparring, its not allowed to punch hard or block hard, but I struggle to keep his punches coming from every direction.

I however figured that an inexperienced fighter would also refrain from using proper techniques, due to the lack of experience in fighting.

So I was wondering, what is the proper way to defend your in a spam of attacks? Our dojo is small, so I always get to block every punch and kick, until I get to a corner/wall. It's frustrating and I must note that its only this person I have this trouble with, he is also lower rank than me.

Well a broad overall look at fighting here are some ideas to chew on:

1. The aggressor wins most fights.

2. You do not have to go backwards to avoid attacks...vastly superior is going left or right. Run backwards while a friend runs forward. Race to a finish line. Who wins? You will ALWAYS lose if you just go backwards. Same in fighting.

3. Practice defensive side kicks. They can be brought up fast to "bail you out" of a guy who has gotten past your comfort zone, they can be combined with a step back (fade) to give you more time to execute properly or even combined with a step back and to the left/right for a angle fade sidekick.

4. Wild techniques are easy to beat if the fighter is disciplined. I've seen one fighter that literally leaped in the air towards my son with his fists windmillig whilst in the air. My son defensive sick kicked him while he was airborne...it took him awhile to recover his breath.

Hello, I am Adam.

2. You do not have to go backwards to avoid attacks...vastly superior is going left or right. Run backwards while a friend runs forward. Race to a finish line. Who wins? You will ALWAYS lose if you just go backwards. Same in fighting.

3. Practice defensive side kicks. They can be brought up fast to "bail you out" of a guy who has gotten past your comfort zone, they can be combined with a step back (fade) to give you more time to execute properly or even combined with a step back and to the left/right for a angle fade sidekick.

4. Wild techniques are easy to beat if the fighter is disciplined. I've seen one fighter that literally leaped in the air towards my son with his fists windmillig whilst in the air. My son defensive sick kicked him while he was airborne...it took him awhile to recover his breath.

You're totally right, now for the following reasons:

1. This is indeed right, I tend not to want to be aggressive as it will lead to an actual fight which isn't what karate is about. It's about self-control, but not defending myself with the proper techniques, and being an aggressor is the issue. If I defended myself with the proper techniques, while being an aggressor, it would be perfect.

2. While we practiced, we practiced going to the side. I apparently forgot all of it while being in an actual fight. My fault of course, but to my defense, there were people around us and more space going backwards, than to the side.

3. But wouldn't this be too aggressive considering that he is inexperienced and would be kicked directly in the head? For some reason, he never blocks attacks, he goes directly into them. I know it's a bad excuse, but trying to be fair here.

4. Yes, discipline it is.

Now my second question is:

Is there any way I can practice karate at home without equipment? I only have the gloves, I have nothing to punch to other than a pillow. I usually practice kata at home, but it would be convienent to spare with something a little harder than a pillow, I just dont have the money to afford it.

Thank you for your great advice, it really made my day :).

Hello, I am Adam.

1. This is indeed right, I tend not to want to be aggressive as it will lead to an actual fight which isn't what karate is about. It's about self-control, but not defending myself with the proper techniques, and being an aggressor is the issue. If I defended myself with the proper techniques, while being an aggressor, it would be perfect.

2. While we practiced, we practiced going to the side. I apparently forgot all of it while being in an actual fight. My fault of course, but to my defense, there were people around us and more space going backwards, than to the side.

3. But wouldn't this be too aggressive considering that he is inexperienced and would be kicked directly in the head? For some reason, he never blocks attacks, he goes directly into them. I know it's a bad excuse, but trying to be fair here.

Is there any way I can practice karate at home without equipment? I only have the gloves, I have nothing to punch to other than a pillow. I usually practice kata at home, but it would be convienent to spare with something a little harder than a pillow, I just dont have the money to afford it.

1b. A well placed attack WILL be control. Your control. Of that fight. You should never have to kick "as hard as you can" Focus on speed. Fast kicks. Fast punches. Fast everything. You are there to not just learn defense...but to learn offense as well.

2b. If you bump into someone...so be it. You HAVE to learn left and right movement. There is no other way. You cannot fight in a straight line unless you have a significant height/reach advantage.

3b. You are learning how to fight...not knit a sweater. HE will change HIS tactics if he eats your foot. BELIEVE IT. Look at it this way: Are you giving HIM the best training by not doing everything in your power to win? No. You are failing him by not going all out. He is lesser for it.

Buy a used kick shield from your dojo. Ask them if they'd sell the most beat up one they have. That will be good to work with someone else holding the pad for you. You can always work on footwork with no equipment whatsoever. Circular movement, angles, bouncing...etc.

Hello, I am Adam.

1b. A well placed attack WILL be control. Your control. Of that fight. You should never have to kick "as hard as you can" Focus on speed. Fast kicks. Fast punches. Fast everything. You are there to not just learn defense...but to learn offense as well.

2b. If you bump into someone...so be it. You HAVE to learn left and right movement. There is no other way. You cannot fight in a straight line unless you have a significant height/reach advantage.

3b. You are learning how to fight...not knit a sweater. HE will change HIS tactics if he eats your foot. BELIEVE IT. Look at it this way: Are you giving HIM the best training by not doing everything in your power to win? No. You are failing him by not going all out. He is lesser for it.

Buy a used kick shield from your dojo. Ask them if they'd sell the most beat up one they have. That will be good to work with someone else holding the pad for you. You can always work on footwork with no equipment whatsoever. Circular movement, angles, bouncing...etc.

I see.

Well, let's say I once get in a full contact street fight, due to unfortunate reasons where I will have to apply self-defense. I have never practiced karate with full contact, so should I be concerned? We only practice with semi-contact at my school.

Just so that there is no confusion, I wanted to make it clear that if your name is not Adam, you should not post on this thread. This is an Adam-only zone. Thank you in advance. Heh.

Welcome AdamE3. :)

Meet his wild punching with a kick!! The legs longer than the arms, and he can flail away all he wants UNTIL he meets one of your kicks. Intercept his blitzes with a well meaning kick. Not to hurt him, but to let him know that you're right there and he'll have to try something else more effective.

If you're not there, neither will his attacks. Transition out of his reach, and if you're game, transition him with forward angles. It can be quite upsetting to someone not ready for it.

And of course, speak with your instructor because he/she is the final word.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I have to agree with AdamKralic's advise. You can be aggressive, and still have self-control. Aggression doesn't mean wild. It means pressing the attack home. It means offense, and turning defense into offense.

The side kick advise is great advise, as with moving sideways. I try to teach both in my classes when sparring. You don't have to go sideways a lot; you just need a little space to make them miss and counter.

I also agree with AdamKralic's advise. Defensive side kicks are a fantastic tool against opponents who rush in, and they will quickly learn not to do that. The bonus side-effect of this is that not only are you learning to intercept an attack, but they are learning to more safely close the gap between them and an opponent.

AdamE3, you must remember that you can be aggressive and offensive in sparring without losing control of yourself. In a self defense situation, you need to be able to flip the switch from defensive to offensive the second you are in danger. That should come out in sparring, to some degree.

With regard to a "full contact street fight," I have to say that you should never end up in one of those. A "fight" is something that two or more people agree to participate in, and you should always be leaving that type of situation. If you end up being attacked, then yes, you will be at a bit of a disadvantage from not having done any full-contact training. That said, I don't personally believe that you need to train full-contact on a regular basis, so long as you do spar with some medium level of contact regularly. If you get the chance, I highly recommend competing in some form of full-contact combat sport at least once--that will help a lot when it comes to dealing with the stress of fighting, being hit full-power, and being grappled at maximum resistance.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

AdamKralic, bushido_man96, Wastelander and sensei8.

Thank you for all of your great advise and wisdom regarding karate.

I would of course never go in a street fight and hope never to get in one. That's one of the very reasons why I started karate. As you know, it's all if I have no other option and something tries to stab me with a knife and there is no way to run away.

More importantly, I have learnt to remember to use sidekicks, intercept with kicks, moving sideways and of course, the fact that I don't have to train full-contact and that semi-contact will be okay for sole safe-defense.

I have the techniques down, not that my belt reflects it, but that I know I can do it myself. Now I have to use it actively next time and succeed with becoming better.

If anyone feels like dropping their feedback and advise, please do not hesitate.

Other than that, thanks for your great advise!