• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

shotokan SKA

Xtreme Fury

Does anyone know anything about SKA(shotokan karate of america). is it any good? the place i go to sounds good, it's nonprofit, only 35 dollars a month(Even if it's four hours a week!) and belt tests are.. FREE except after black belt. :) which is really cool.

in your opinion what should be better to take, enshin or shotokan(just your opinion, it doesnt have to be fact)? thanks.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The organization' chief instructor is Mr. Ohshima, based in Los Angeles. You can find their website on any search engine.

Mr. Ohshima himself is a very well educated man, but the karate they do is old and rather purposless in the sense that the personal achievement is disregarded on the long run. Their training is simple, but with hundreds of repetitions. It builds endurance and nothing else in my opinion.

Personally, having known Mr. Ohshima for a long time, I like in part his karate and he seems to know more than the people whom he teaches. I do not know the reason for that, but that is not my concern.

If young and with lots of time, it's worth of trying out as many styles and schools, just to see what is available and what fits, or suits you best. You may not know it now, but I am sure you'll build in time a sense in finding out what is best for you. It's just good to have a choice. That will help you assess better your schedule, your finances, likes, dislikes and purposes.

I wish you a good training experience.

Chris

I have only seen one SKA gorup, and the looked "floppy" for lack of a better adjective. It might have just been that group.

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

thats the SKA ;) they have kinda cruddy technique i trained with a SKA dojo on my off days for awhile. (mon wed frid and sat were jka days, tue and thur were ska days)

They have short stances and they tend to do kata differently (not opening hands in heian shodan for example)

• 1 year later...