• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

[KF 500k] Member Interview: ninjanurse

Member Profile

ninjanurse (View Profile)

KarateForums.com Sensei

KarateForums.com Awards: Community Spirit Award (2006) and Article of the Year (2012)

Interview

Where are you from?

Originally from Evergreen, Colorado. I moved to Nevada when I was 12 and moved to New York 13 years ago.

Why did you get started in the martial arts?

A friend's mom taught judo at the local Y and she talked me into trying it out. I was quite shy and a perfectionist so I saw it as an opportunity to increase my people skills and satisfy some of my OCD tendencies.

Why have you continued to practice them?

I fell in love with the whole process and eventually began to teach others so that I could share the treasures I was finding. Physically and mentally it was both challenging and satisfying.

Please briefly describe the styles of martial arts that you have taken.

• Judo
  • Tang Soo Do
  • Shotokan karate
  • Tae kwon do
  • Ju jitsu
  • Arnis

What is your grade or level?

5th dan in tae kwon do.

Do you teach?

Yes, I having been teaching since 1983.

What are your first memories from training?

Hard wooden floors and blisters on my feet! Also remember the first time I ever sparred - took a hit to the shin that hurt like no other hurt I have ever felt to this day!

What has been the highlight of your training?

My tae kwon do black belt test with Ernie Reyes - a life changing experience; and my participation in the Ultimate Black Belt Test and the Alabama Project as part of my 5th Dan test - wow!

What do you do when you're not training?

Think about training - seriously! I also teach snowboarding during the winter months.

What do you do for a living?

I teach martial arts (at Four Dragons Martial Arts Center) and moonlight as an RN.

Who are or were your martial arts heroes?

• My first Tang Soo Do instructor, Herb Nye: Herb is the one that sparked the fire and passion I have for martial arts. He pushed me out of my comfort zone and forced me to face my fears
  • Sensei Clyde Kanekoa: for seeing something in me that I could not even imagine existed
  • Ernie Reyes, Sr: KJN Ernie's vision and passion for martial arts and belief in his students inspired me to change the person I was and actually believe - for that I am forever grateful!
  • Tom Callos: the instructor who most effectively kicked my butt physically and mentally, and who laid the foundation for my school and my system
  • Keiko Fukuda: the highest ranked woman in judo at the time of her passing (February 2013) and an inspiration to female martial artists, regardless of style, who struggle to gain acceptance in an historically male dominated world

What are your favorite martial arts films and/or shows?

Surf Ninjas (of course!), Shogun, The Last Samurai, Bulletproof Monk, The Forbidden Kingdom, Ip Man, The Karate Kid (both the original amd the remake) and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

Where do you see yourself going in your martial arts journey in the next few years?

I am going to continue to teach and share my passion for martial arts as long as I am able. I have recently undertaken the study of Ju-no-Kata and a new weapons system so I have quite a few years booked!

Do you remember how you found KarateForums.com? Why did you join?

I was researching a school that I was thinking about associating with and I searched Google, up popped a lone post from a past moderator, Laurie (PunchPressQueen75), who was a student there so I visited KF and messaged her. I joined the school and KF... the rest is history!

Why did you stay?

KF is the only martial arts forum out there (at least that I have found) that stands by its guidelines of good character and proper social etiquette. The contributors are knowledgeable and supportive - and Patrick is an excellent administrator, teacher and friend.

You've been a member since February 13, 2003. During this time, how has KarateForums.com changed in your eyes, if at all?

KF has grown, staff has come and gone, topics have ebbed and flowed - but the spirit hasn't changed. I go for spirit every time and I appreciate those who work hard do keep it so.

How, if at all, have you used KarateForums.com in your classes or training?

I have picked up some great kids drills and ideas for events over the years. Also, the insight of Patrick and some of the moderators and members has has been invaluable to me both as a teacher and a student.

Edited by Patrick

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Thank you for your kindness, Heidi. I appreciate all of your support over the years. It means a lot to me and your contributions to this community have been immense.

For those who don't know, Heidi celebrated 10 years on staff in June. This community has been online for 12 years, 5 months and 3 days and Heidi has been on staff for 10 years, 4 months and 1 week of it. That's just amazing to me.

The longevity is a testament to her consistency, dedication and personality. I'm honored that we've had you.

Do you remember how you found KarateForums.com? Why did you join?

I was researching a school that I was thinking about associating with and I searched Google, up popped a lone post from a past moderator, Laurie (PunchPressQueen75), who was a student there so I visited KF and messaged her. I joined the school and KF... the rest is history!

This is crazy to me, as well. Does this mean that KarateForums.com is where you met Laurie? If so, amazing. So Laurie's post brought you here and you ended up building a great friendship with her, that translated offline. I am not sure if I forgot this fact or simply never knew it, but that is wonderful.

Thanks again,

Patrick

Heidi, you've always been one I've looked up to and admired for the way you handle yourself here at KF, both when you post, and in your moderator duties. You've helped me become better in both aspects, and you are a testament to what this community is and always will be.

Heidi you were always one of my favorites here at KF when I was a regular member here and even more so when I became part of the staff. You are a quality person, and I thank you for the dedication you've shown to KF.

"If your hand goes forth withhold your temper"

"If your temper goes forth withold your hand"

-Gichin Funakoshi

I value you across the board. Your mentorship I've depended on for quite some time, and in thatl, I'll always be grateful for everything that you do in order to increase KF's betterment.

THANK YOU!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Your veteran status here is definatly apparent, ninjanurse! Your posts always present insight into your subject matter and your judgment and activity as a moderator is excellent.

Thanks for sharing your background with us in the interview.

10 years was a massive achievement and your posts have always been top quality - I always look forward to reading them :)

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius