• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

16oz Karate Gi is...

JonHunter

The biggest pain in the bum to iron!!! Ive even tried ironing whilst its still damp and and it still looks like ive taken it straight out of the machine!!

Any advise or tips? I think i should have gone for a medium weight on in hindsight.

Cheers

Jon

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

This may be a silly suggestion, but will wrinkle release spray, like Downy Wrinkle Releaser, do anything to it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUx-wOXjq_I

Patrick

This may be a silly suggestion, but will wrinkle release spray, like Downy Wrinkle Releaser, do anything to it?

Patrick

I've tried that, with limited success on lesser weight doboks (gi's).

For the OP, if you really feel the need for an ironed one for demos/testing/tournaments, I would suggest dry cleaning and pressing, and then use other doboks for general class.

John

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

• 1 month later...

In my opinion 16oz Gi's are just too heavy, too hot in Summer, too hard in Winter. I never Iron my gi's either, hang them up in the bathroom; the wrinkles soon fall out.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

• 4 weeks later...
In my opinion 16oz Gi's are just too heavy, too hot in Summer, too hard in Winter. I never Iron my gi's either, hang them up in the bathroom; the wrinkles soon fall out.

I agree, when I first started I had superstar eyes at how cool a heavyweight looked. Eventually I got one and I still thought it was cool, then I switched to lighter weights and wondered why the heck I liked heavy weight so much. Heavyweight is so cumbersome and obstructing. How ever because it does keep me hotter, I do continue to train in it on certain days for conditioning reasons. It's the idea that you train with restrictions/resistance on, and when it's showtime take them off and you will see a marked performance difference. I used to iron my gi's, but eventually I got tired of ironing them only to wear it then wash it to repeat ironing again. Needless to say, I don't iron mine anymore, I hang them dry and let nature run its course.

Patrick

The thing about this is that you run the possibility of overdoing it, and in that, you also run the risk of leaving a nice ugly discolored shine.

:idea:

**Proof is on the floor!!!