18 members have voted

1. 1. Favourite Pinan Katas

• Pinan Nidan
    • Pinan Shodan
    • Pinan Sandan
    • Pinan Yondan
    • Pinan Godan

Hi muttley,

You are correct, they were designed to be trained alongside each other, however in most modern karate groups these days - they are trained in stages.

And, of course, the great thing about them is that when you have trained them all - you can go back to the first one and understand it a whole lot better (hopefully ;) )

This then gives you the platform to be ready to learn the kata that they derive from....

K.

ps muttley - did you get my last PM?

Usque ad mortem bibendum!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I did thank you. And I am still in a state of confusion as to where to go next. Seriously annoyed that there are no Shotokan Sensei's here who want to look at the style from a different perspective (ie not the way it's been taught for the past decade or so), but reluctant to try anything too different!

Going along to look at a Kyokushin dojo tomorrow night, just hope they take it easy on me to start with, don't want any broken bones just yet!

And as for Pinan/Heian kata, they are among my favourites when studied alongside each other (and with the benefit of hindsight). Strange how when I first learnt the kata's individually I never thought of them as part of a whole.

I'm going to have to vote Pinan Sandan personally. The Bunkai in Sandan continues to facinate me, and the kata has some wonderful moves in it that leave outsiders wondering.

"Karate is NOT about the colour of belt you wear it is about the person you become;...to be a good blackbelt is to be humble and respectful amongst other things." -Dobbersky

Pinan Shodan. Multiple layers of application with the concept and movements just at the opening. Add to that the rising and falling and twisting movements found through out and I'd rather training it than most of the others. In fact, if I could only train one of these kata, it would be shodan.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

Pinan Nidan is my favourite Kata right now. It won me the Wado Ryu Scottish Karate Federation Championship for 9th-7th Kyu. My first competion. Practiced it endlessly for weeks but it paid off in the end. My instuctor also promoted me from 8th-6th Kyu for my acheivement. He's only done that twice in his 44 years of teaching, so not something he does lightly.

Be water, my friend.

• 3 weeks later...

I just started learning the first two Pinan's for my next belt. Having to choose between the two, I would say Shodan is my favorite. With all the praise Yondan is getting, I am really looking forward to learning that one, too.

train hard!