• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

[KF 500k] Member Interview: Wastelander

Member Profile

Wastelander (View Profile)

KarateForums.com Sempai

Interview

Where are you from?

Tremont, IL originally, but have been living in Phoenix, AZ since 2008.

Why did you get started in the martial arts?

I was very interested in Japanese culture, and needed a way to get in shape, so karate seemed like a good way to get a bit of both!

Why have you continued to practice them?

Addiction, really. After that first week, I was completely hooked on the effects it had on me physically and mentally. I love the learning process as much as the doing process!

Please briefly describe the styles of martial arts that you have taken.

I started my martial arts journey in Shuri-Ryu karate, and started cross-training in judo about 5-6 months later. Eventually, I moved on to training in Shorin-Ryu (Kobayashi). I have also had some kobudo training and Japanese sword training (Shinkage-Ryu iaijutsu).

What is your grade or level?

I hold the rank of Ikkyu (1st degree brown belt) in Shorin-Ryu, Sankyu (3rd degree brown belt) in Shuri-Ryu, Gokyu (green belt) in judo, and have passed competency exams for the bo, and the tachikata (standing forms) of Shinkage-Ryu iaijutsu.

Do you teach?

Yes. I assist with classes on a regular basis, and teach beginner and all-rank classes once or twice a week.

What are your first memories from training?

All I remember from my first class was being incredibly nervous and awkward, and then getting totally absorbed in learning my first karate techniques - the horse stance, the high block, the uppercut, and the front snap kick.

What has been the highlight of your training?

A young man that I used to teach when he was just starting out did an interview with the local paper back in my home area as part of a story on outstanding local young people, and in that interview he said that I was his biggest role model. I only trained with him for about a year or so, but in that time I made so much of an impact on his life that he would say that about me. I was honored, and that is probably the thing I am currently the most proud of - not the seminars and classes I've taken from high ranking instructors, or the competitions I've won, or the techniques I've pulled off, but the fact that I helped someone. :)

What do you do when you're not training?

Work, sleep, research, and spend time with my wife and our dogs and rabbits. I also enjoy doing some leatherwork, blacksmithing and writing on the side, when I have the extra free time.

What do you do for a living?

I am a Senior IT Service Desk Analyst, which is a fancy way to say that I'm the guy everybody in my company calls when they can't make their computer work right. :P

Who are or were your martial arts heroes?

Motobu Choki is probably my most influential historical martial arts hero, for his practical approach to karate and his no-nonsense attitude. Some modern day martial arts heroes of mine would be Lyoto Machida, Georges St. Pierre and Doug Perry Hanshi of the Shorinkan.

What are your favorite martial arts films and/or shows?

The Last Samurai, Hero and Seven Samurai are probably my top martial arts films. For shows, I really enjoyed both Fight Quest and Human Weapon, even though they weren't all that well done.

Where do you see yourself going in your martial arts journey in the next few years?

In the next few years, I expect I will test for (and hopefully pass) 1st degree black belt in Shorin-Ryu, and continue my training and teaching. I would like to do more seminars and open knowledge exchange events, as well.

Do you remember how you found KarateForums.com? Why did you join?

I believe I found KarateForums.com through searching "karate forums" on Google, honestly. I joined shortly after starting my training in Shorin-Ryu because I was looking for information on transitioning between styles, as well as Shorin-Ryu history and methodology.

Why did you stay?

Not only did I find what I was looking for, but it was a friendly and open environment with lots of knowledgeable people exchanging information.

You've been a member since October 18, 2010. During this time, how has KarateForums.com changed in your eyes, if at all?

I think we have mellowed out, a little bit, but otherwise it's very much the same place - lots of information, and lots of good people!

How did becoming a staff member change how you viewed the site?

It was interesting to see what goes into planning events, articles, and contests, because I never really considered that side of the forum. I also feel more responsible for the content of the website, since I have to keep an eye out for spam and inappropriate content.

How, if at all, have you used KarateForums.com in your classes or training?

There have certainly been times where I took recommendations from members for drills or exercises and tried them out in my training, and I have also learned a great deal of history and theory that I can apply any time I train.

Are there any members here who have had a particular influence or impact on you?

Bob (sensei8) has probably been the most influential member here, for me, since he is so open and engaged.

Can you share a memorable moment within the community where you received great advice or an experience that really affected you and your martial arts journey?

I wish I could think of one specific moment, but I have had so many breakthroughs and "eureka moments" over the years I've been here that I couldn't possibly name just one. At this point they all blend together as integral pieces of my KarateForums.com experience!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Thank you for sharing this with us, Noah. I appreciate all of the contributions that you have made to our community. You have a great personality that adds to what we have here. I'm glad to have you on the team.

Patrick

Wastlander, it's great to see someone training, researching and getting banged around and having such a great outlook on their training. It's obvious reading your posts, and blog, that you have a lot of respect for traditions. However, you aren't afraid to ask questions, look for improvements and strike out on your own when you find something that works better for you. Motobu as a hero makes great sense in that way.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

Great interview!!

Thank you for the kind words; they mean everything to me!! Your MA future, imho, seems bright and right on track. Just imagine what you'll be like in 10 years...WOW...a solid BB that's got it going on!! Keep up the good work, and continue on your MA path because it has to be getting better all of the time.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Wastelander,

Your knowledgeable, in-depth contributions are very much appreciated, especially from a fellow Shorin-ryu karateka. I am looking forward to the day I read the post from you that you've been promoted to Shodan. :)

We share many common interests, including being IT computer nerds, games, etc. I think the strongest commonality from an MA perspective, though, is:

Who are or were your martial arts heroes?

Motobu Choki is probably my most influential historical martial arts hero, for his practical approach to karate and his no-nonsense attitude.

Choki Motobu is also a very influential MA hero of mine, as well, for the same reasons you mention. IMHO, he is a critical link in the history & lineage of Shorin-ryu/Te that is often overlooked. The fact that you recognize Motobu's importance is worth applauding...

:karate:

Remember the Tii!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

Thank you, everyone! :bowofrespect:

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Thanks for sharing all this. Great that you've made such an impact on one of your students that they consider you to be their role model :)

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Thanks for sharing your interview with us, Wastelander. You have an excellent perspective on things and it's always interesting to see things from your angle.