• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

[KF 500k] Member Interview: tallgeese

Member Profile

tallgeese (View Profile)

KarateForums.com Sensei

KarateForums.com Awards: Member of the Year (2008), New Member of the Year (2008), Staff Member of the Year (2010) and Article of the Year (2009)

Interview

Where are you from?

I'm originally from downstate Illinois. Now I'm a transplant to the Chicago-land area. Just past the Northwest suburbs.

Why did you get started in the martial arts?

I have been interested in them for as long as I can look back and remember. When I was turning 16, I remember shopping around the area for a school. I remember that I wanted to learn how to fight. Later, I'd learn more than that, but the combatives were what really attracted me. During my "looking around" phase, I happened to see a demonstration given by the new dojo in town. It was amazing to me, the power and, at the same time, the intricacies of what I was watching. I signed up the following week and it was no looking back.

Why have you continued to practice them?

The continued growth they've led me through. I did learn to fight, and a whole lot more. About the time I feel like one journey is winding down in the arts, another starts. There's always something more to learn, and a continuing evolution of why you're doing them that lets one keep learning.

Please briefly describe the styles of martial arts that you have taken.

I started in a variant form of kempo with a lineage through Oyata (Bujin). It was a hard striking system with circular finesse in some spots and standing joint manipulation. My instructor was very principle based in his training method and this is still how I pattern training to this day.

The next form of kempo I studied (Gokei) was out of the same association and closely related. It was more knife work and had some difference in application. More than anything, it was a mindset school for me and guided how I thought about deploying skills.

After that I slowly morphed into the fledgling MMA scene. I did this through shootfighting which is a pankration type event with open hand, full contact strikes and grappling. Although in retrospect, the grappling was very rudimentary. It was during this time, which fell about the college years, that I got to experiment with boxing and kickboxing as part of this experiment, and it turned out to be time well spent.

This would give way to the more familiar MMA, that would really affect how I drilled and structured workouts.

Finally, I got the opportunity that I had been looking for, for years, and started to train Brazilian jiu jitsu. Which, of course, is specifically designed for ground fighting. This has been about all I've done now for years.

Last year, I was fortunate enough to start to get to dabble in Jeet Kune Do and Filipino martial arts.

What is your grade or level?

I hold a 5th dan in Bujin. Which sounds crazy to say, but as I write this and reflect it occurs that I've been on this journey for almost 25 years now. I was awarded a 2nd Dan in Gokei. During my years of early fight experiments, I was awarded a Junior Instructorship in shootfighting, but I never took the time or steps to make full instructor. Lastly, I am currently a brown belt in BJJ.

Do you teach?

Not as much as I used to. During college, I taught at a local school as well as at a campus club. In grad school, I also spent a lot of time teaching the college club with a JKD and Muay Thai guy. Shortly after, I taught shootfighting out of a local gym as well. After moving out of the college years, I helped at an MMA club for awhile. I was burnt out after that and stepped away from the teaching role. Now, I just cover for my coach where he needs someone. I enjoy it quite a bit more.

What are your first memories from training?

Doing angle drills off line of an attack. High hooking parry with a slip to the outside, counter strike to the head.

What has been the highlight of your training?

I can really say I've been blessed on my path to have quite a few moments. Narrowing it down to one is just too difficult. What tops the chart is training with Rickson Gracie, getting my black belt, my first competitive fight, utilizing my art at work live for the first time, and standing on the mats with my other teammates at the Pans.

What do you do when you're not training?

I try to keep up with my kids, LOL! After that I occasionally play guitar, poorly. When I have the chance I get out and fish.

What do you do for a living?

I'm a cop. I work as a sergeant for our Sheriff's Office. Most of my assignment is running our firearms and control tactics programs. I also get to be a member of our SWAT team.

Who are or were your martial arts heroes?

Top of the list has to be Bruce Lee. He inspired a generation of artists who were our instructors. As with most jiu jitsu practitioners, I also consider Rickson Gracie a hero of mine. The man in motion is just poetry and, when he's talking about jiu jitsu, it's on a whole different level.

What are your favorite martial arts films and/or shows?

My personal favorite is the first (and really only in my opinion) Best of the Best. Enter the Dragon is a perennial favorite as well. For whatever reason, I also enjoy The Last Samurai despite some of its problems.

Where do you see yourself going in your martial arts journey in the next few years?

That is a great question. I am hopeful that the next couple of years find me completing the journey to black belt in BJJ. That's the immediate goal. We'll see where my fondness for the JKD/FMA arts goes, maybe I'll progress in that direction. I've always wanted to spend time in an authentic Japanese sword art as well, if my schedule ever lines up maybe I'd make that happen.

For the foreseeable future, lots of my journey will revolve around cop work and training cops. I think that I'll continue to expand into that realm with teaching methodologies for police and the specific needs that we have.

Do you remember how you found KarateForums.com? Why did you join?

I found it during a bit of down time while I was bored and surfing discussion boards. KF came up somewhere along the way. I spent some time browsing and checking in but I finally joined when I realized that not only were the people knowledgeable in their arts but that actual discussion occurred. Not just everyone stating their opinion and moving on, but everyone was interacting. That made it very appealing.

Why did you stay?

The high level of discourse kept me here for sure. Again, there was just a high level of interaction between members. Not to mention the people here really know their stuff, they're from all around the world, and everyone has a slightly different viewpoint. It's an excellent learning environment. The other thing that is immediately apparent to anyone that hangs out any time at all is the high level of civility that Patrick maintains. This makes KF unique among martial arts sites on the web.

You've been a member since May 4, 2008. During this time, how has KarateForums.com changed in your eyes, if at all?

Members come and go, and members that stay have periods where they are more or less active based on real life. This means that interactions change and give the site a different focus or tone on an ongoing basis. This is a good thing. Even if certain discussions roll around again, the activity of members old and new, and the interactions of the members who are active at that time, makes us all look at these issues a bit differently each time.

I think there is a bit more diversity here now than there was initially when I came on board as well when it comes to different arts and backgrounds. That has also proved to be a good thing and really expanded the viewpoints that get brought to bear on a discussion.

How did becoming a staff member change how you viewed the site?

It showed me exactly how hard Patrick works! The professional and civil tone that Patrick promotes does not just happen. It's a deliberate choice on his part that makes this community the friendly one that it is. Also, I've been surprised at how much of a role the moderators have in maintaining his vision.

How, if at all, have you used KarateForums.com in your classes or training?

KF is one of those things that I kind of consider as part of my professional research. It's a great reference for just about all things martial. Additionally, it's continually giving me training ideas for my own workouts.

Are there any members here who have had a particular influence or impact on you?

There's been a few over the years. Brian, bushido_man96, has been really influential. In fact, it was one of Brian's posts that prompted me to sign up and actively participate. Working in the same field, he's always been a good sounding board for my thoughts on working martial arts into the law enforcement community.

There's been a string of more traditional artists on the boards that have really stretched my thinking on "traditional" arts.

Can you share a memorable moment within the community where you received great advice or an experience that really affected you and your martial arts journey?

Again, being part of this community has been highly beneficial and that's occurred over a lot of threads. I can really say, when it comes to my perceptions of kata, there have been several challenging threads that have modified my feelings on the subject. Additionally, any of the threads I've had the opportunity to participate in dealing with "the best way to deal with…" are often enlightening.

Given all that, I'd just like to thank Patrick for putting on such a fantastic community and maintaining such high standards. It's a pleasure and honor to take part in the discussion here and I truly enjoy giving back in any way I can. Thanks, Patrick.

Edited by Patrick

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Thank you, Alex. That is very kind of you and I really appreciate it.

It has been a pleasure to watch you grow into a great moderator here, as far as the things that happen behind the scenes, handling various situations that occur. In addition, the way that you participate within the community sets a great example for members to follow and furthers the ideal that I have for this community, that you referenced. The posts that you make embody the spirit of KarateForums.com and what I wanted it to be, from day one.

I'm glad that I have had the opportunity to get to know you and connect with you through this community.

Thanks again,

Patrick

Great interview, Alex.

Are there any members here who have had a particular influence or impact on you?

There's been a few over the years. Brian, bushido_man96, has been really influential. In fact, it was one of Brian's posts that prompted me to sign up and actively participate. Working in the same field, he's always been a good sounding board for my thoughts on working martial arts into the law enforcement community.

Thanks for the kind words, Alex. They mean a lot. I have always enjoyed your insight, and I always try to look at how you present things, and see how I can interact it with my training. I'd love to be able to see how your DT program is set up, and you always have good advise on the "cop stuff." :)

Thank you, bushido man. I look forward to getting the chance to share ideas on the control tactics front.

Great interview!!

I want to thank you for all that you do here at KF across the board!!

I personally want to thank you for helping me to reach deeply inside of myself to see that Dai-Soke and Soke weren't always right in their methodologies and ideologies in and out of Shindokan. I was raised in a very strict traditional Okinawan style of Karate, and in that, one can possible imagine just how the tone was in the Hombu while these two great karateka's were alive and quite active. To honor them, is why I still continue in Shindokan.

I could never pretend to write as well as you do, but I try, and this is why I've put a hold on my memoirs, and that's because my written words aren't as polished as they need to be to get the attention of said reader, and then to keep the reader on the edge of their seats.

Your MA knowledge is deep, and well refined across the board. It shows in your written words, and in that, I hopefully, one day, be allowed to share the mat with you.

Thank you for everything!!

I bow to you!!

:bowofrespect:

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Fantastic interview, tallgeese :D Your posts, your knowledge and experience, are always at/near the top of my list to look for...

You keep things practical,

You keep things efficient,

You keep things effective,

You keep things real...

You are "the real deal" (I hope Mr. Holyfield doesn't mind me using that phrase) that effectively applies Occam's Razor / lex parsimoniae to your training and instruction... something I think we all could use no matter our art/style. At the very least, you force those of us in traditional MA to look at our art from a practical view: will this or that actually work, or are we doing it just because someone said so?

Keep it real, man :karate:

Remember the Tii!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

Great interview Alex. I think in every one of your posts what comes across is how knowledgeable you are and how much experience you have, both in the martial arts and in your professional life. :)

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Thank you all for the kind words. They are appreciated. I am glad that I can be of use in our discussion. Also know that you all make me consider things from new perspectives constantly and I appreciate it as well.