• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

[KF 500k] Member Interview: Harkon72

Member Profile

Harkon72 (View Profile)

KarateForums.com Sempai

Interview

Where are you from?

I'm from Anglesey, North Wales, UK, now living on the Welsh mainland in the Nantlle Valley.

Why did you get started in the martial arts?

I followed my Father into it, he was a soldier and boxer. His friend offered to teach me.

Why have you continued to practice them?

Totally addicted I guess, it's more spiritual than it ever was.

Please briefly describe the style of martial arts that you have taken.

Karate, kobudo, Wing Chun and ju jitsu.

What is your grade or level?

I have a Nidan, a 3rd kyu and a 4th kyu in three styles of karate: Shorin Ryu, Shotokan and Shukokai.

Do you teach?

I have assisted and I have taught privately to a family member who went on to win a kumite title.

What are your first memories from training?

Wrestling and sparring with my Father.

What has been the highlight of your training?

My Nidan grading; when I scored a wazari by uraken to the back of my opponent's head. Even my Sensei thought I had no chance in this kumite. I was attacked with a mae geri/oia zuki combination, I countered with gedan barrai, ashi barrai and uraken.

What do you do when you're not training?

I go fishing, I play Warhammer 40K, I follow our village soccer team, I'm an active Pagan and I'm studying for a degree part time.

What do you do for a living?

I work for a local recycling charity and I'm on the board of directors for an advocacy service.

Who are or were your martial arts heroes?

Terry O'Neill, Mike Finn and Marco Ruas.

What are your favorite martial arts films and/or shows?

The original Kung Fu with David Carradine, Enter the Dragon, The Last Samurai and Star Wars.

Where do you see yourself going in your martial arts journey in the next few years?

Gaining a Shodan in Shukokai karate with Dragon Martial Arts. Training in nunchaku with Sensei Chris Williams. Training with Sensei Julian Mallaliu, 7th Dan in Shito Ryu/Shukokai and kobudo.

Do you remember how you found KarateForums.com? Why did you join?

A random search on Google. I found the topics very relevant to me and interesting.

Why did you stay?

I found the conversation mature, well administrated and informative. I feel we are a mixed bunch with a rich and varied knowledge base. It's fun to see what people do in martial arts, to share and enjoy good banter and community friendship.

How did becoming a staff member change how you viewed the site?

I felt that I have a role as a guide and that I have a degree of responsibility. My posts have a lot more focus as I feel I need to set an example. I have a long way to go to catch up with a few members, but I'm almost at my 1,000 post mark.

How, if at all, have you used KarateForums.com in your classes or training?

I have taken on board a lot of advice, especially values in the dojo and my martial arts community. A few tips on training have been useful, especially the ushiro geri video posted by Danielle (DWx).

Are there any members here who have had a particular influence or impact on you?

I think Wastelander. He's a good martial artist, very mature for his age and I'm sure he has a bright future.

Can you share a memorable moment within the community where you received great advice or an experience that really affected you and your martial arts journey?

My highlight was the post about a sword I was gifted - a hand-and-a-half medieval sword that I knew nothing about how to use. The response was encouragement, keen knowledge and support. I look at that sword in a new way now. I have met more people in the UK that use them and I have an avid interest in western medieval martial arts as a direct result of the replies posted in response to my question about this unique weapon. View the thread, "A Hand and a Half - Practical or Out Dated."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'm glad that you found the community, Gareth. I appreciate your kind words, support and your presence on staff. Thank you for the positive contributions that you have made here.

Patrick

Great interview!!

I've enjoyed your posts across the board; very deliberate keen sense of MA knowledge. Your contibutions don't go unnoticed, and in that, all members can learn a thing or two from you concerning the MA.

I'm glad to as well that you're part of staff, and you're a vital part of staff, imho.

Thank you!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Thank you for the kind words, I feel that being a member of this forum has been educational, inspiring and given me a focus for my martial arts career. If I can give advise, I will, maybe I need to listen more to various views in a more productive way but I learn more from this community every day. I hope to carry on and grow as a member for my development and the future of Karate Forums.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

Thank you for sharing, and for the kind words! :)

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Great read! It's great working with you on the staff and I always keep an eye out for your posts. And thanks for the mention, glad one of my posts was helpful :)

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Great interview... :) Your contributions are well appreciated, and I always look forward to your posts!

Remember the Tii!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...