• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

When did martial arts become a kid thing?

I think it really took off in the late '80s and early '90s. When you think about it, kids have more time at their disposal than most adults do. I can vouch for this, because I see all the stuff I have my son running around doing, and the amount of activities my teenage and soon-to-be college bound daughter have time to do. So, in order to keep an MA business running, it only seems natural to make it available to children, even if you do have to make a few changes to what and how you do things. For a lot of schools out there, the kids programs are what keeps it solvent.

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

That would/is be a true and correct point!

Kids then as now have time to kill …...so why not do Fung Fu or karate! (MA blah blah)

Adults .... not so much!

They are more serious and more professional (for the most part) on how they view and see things, so the telling of a story, be this book, magazine or the easiest media source, films any hint or weak story tends to be supporting or driving a ‘super power’ and things go downhill from there.

Let’s not forget that parents are not happy about putting their child in harm’s way…it is after all ‘fighting’, so it goes against all parenting wants and even society standards today!

That on top of a less than favourably view or memory (TV/Films) view of MA that the adult tends to have in mind.

My son this weekend mentioned that two of his friends are dropping out of MA to play football (soccer).

He has as a result suggested/indicated he might want to do the same instead now.

Here ‘Peer pressure’ is playing a role in his mind driving this and that’s fine, he’ll be supported no matter what he finally chooses.

How many other children are pushed or guided to the other thing away from MA along these kind of lines.

If an adult was considering this kind of choice, well the image MA has is already in the back of their head, and then it occurs to me that when they walk into a dojo and see a mixed class, if they see adults at all, the choice has pretty much already been made for them, they just haven’t said the words yet!

Kids are the future, and to win that mind, that heart you have to win the adult over first!

that is going to be hard to do with teh sheer volume, even might of Hollywood to deal with.

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.

One thing that I've observed, from conducting the member interviews for the 500,000 posts celebration, is how much virtually every martial artist loves martial arts movies. I would say that a majority of the people that we interviewed are probably 30 and up, several in their 40s and 50s. And with rare exceptions, all of them love the existence of these movies.

In fact, for many of them, these movies were one of the things, if not the primary thing, that prompted them to develop an interest in the martial arts.

It has been almost 30 years since The Karate Kid was released. That means that today's 40 year old instructors were 9 or 10 when it came out. And, for many of them, that movie had an influence on their decision to become a martial artist. Some of which began as a kid. Without movies, you may not have your instructor. Food for thought.

Patrick

Yes, I'd agree with that!

sensei8 started a thread along these lines not so long back..

http://karateforums.com/who-choose-whom-vt45622.html

For me it was 'Enter The dragon' as I mention in the thread, but today I'm not so convinced, hence my contention here.

Sure I fit your description, :wink: and as you say with a few exception this can be said to be true for everyone else, but films imo are not the massive influence they once were.

There has to be a reason for that, and well whilst time is major player in this, if anyone wants something enough they will do all they can to make it happen.

So to me it seems there is another 'something' that is involved in the desire to do or not do 'a thing', MA in this discussion.

So to me the time reason/excuse takes a back seat here which to me leaves MA image!

That image comes from the way MA has been presented to the audience, and in today's world that means TV and cinema.

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.

The MA, imho, haven't become a kid thing, however, kids are learning the MA!! Don't ever underestimate the kids that are MAists!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Food for thought, in more dangerous times and places, kids are taught martial arts more seriously. Some kids classes are just social clubs, some are serious about defense and competition.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

Food for thought, in more dangerous times and places, kids are taught martial arts more seriously. Some kids classes are just social clubs, some are serious about defense and competition.
Interesting point, MP. In Thailand, lots of kids start learning and fighting early on, to help pay for their families.

I love your new signature, by the way. I'm fan of the Song of Ice and Fire series.

I like that signature too, fear is the road to the Dark Side...

Children are our Future, maybe with Martial Arts practice they may have one.

Look to the far mountain and see all.