• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I need you guys! And gals!

KyungYet

Really.

I forgot how nice it felt to hear stories from martial artists, to share ideas with martial artists, to debate technique with martial artists, and just to be part of a community of martial artists! I'm very excited to be here.

I won three free lessons at a Chuck Norris studio in 1984 (I was 11 - there, I've dated myself), and thus began my love affair with the martial arts. I trained and instructed Tang Soo Do continuously until I was in my 20s, but during college I was only able to work out sporadically. Grad school was even worse - I was forced to take Shotokan... just kidding, Shotos. It was great practice (TSD is basically Korean Shotokan, right?) and I gained a lot of respect for the speed and power that can be generated from nothing but a stepping high punch.

I gained a bunch of weight trying to finish my PhD (quick, cheap meals and writing into the wee hours of the night were not conducive to physical fitness!) and didn't get back into training until about two years ago. Now I'm finally in shape once again and have my very own martial arts program at the University I teach at, and I'm getting a new generation of kids interested in the martial arts! I loved teaching children, but it's super-rewarding to teach college kids and help them to learn confidence, respect, and discipline (as well as self-defense!). I'm very lucky and grateful.

But still it's you guys I need. These kids are just cute little newbies and I'm the only black belt around. Heck... I'M still learning: there's a lot I don't know about running a school on my own, and I get awful tired of my own teaching techniques. I'm really excited to share the 25 years of knowledge I've accumulated and benefit from the collective knowledge of the talented folks here at KarateForums.com!

Kamsahamnida! [Thank you!]

KyungYet

If you practice weak, you become weak. If you practice strong, you become strong.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

You are Very welcome, we have a few Korean Stylists here, and many with experience of varied arts with wonderful views and arguments. Please post as little or as much as you can, I wait to hear your opinion.

Yours in Karatedo, an aging Welsh Bushi.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

Welcome to the forum!

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society