• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

To start judo / BJJ or not?

Samn01

Hello all,

I am hoping for some advice please? I am a 2nd kyu karate-ka and currently only training twice a week in karate, I also swim, bike, run, lift weights and climb from time to time.

I am planning to give my karate a little more focus and increase my sessions to 3 or 4 a week. I hope to grade to shodan in 2015.

I enjoy sweeps and there is part of me that would love to also try some bjj or judo.

My question is, should I just forget this idea, get the extra karate session in and focus my efforts in improving as a karate-ka? Or is it okay, perhaps even a good thing to play with other martial arts as well?

The quality of advice on this forum is always so good. Thanks for any advice.

Sam

2nd Kyu Ishinryu Karate, UK

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

With judo and BJJ being so different from karate, and you already being a Nikyu, I don't think you would have any trouble with it from a learning perspective. I am a huge advocate of cross-training, and I am sure you would benefit from it!

That said, it sounds like you have a pretty full schedule as it is, and even if you can find the time to do it all, I don't think you should. Overtraining is unhealthy, and can be dangerous. You would need to drop a couple of your other activities, especially if you are planning to increase your attendance at your dojo.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Last year I started judo just after getting my 3rd kyu in Isshinryu. I'm so glad I did it. It's very different from karate, so I didn't get confused at all, but I loved learning the different techniques and getting more comfortable on the ground. I also loved what I learned from randori, which is a lot more full contact all out than you can safely get in most karate schools. You learn to strategize, work from the position you're in and find solutions to tough situations. It also got me a lot more comfortable being up close to people and getting in there and trying new things. Overall a great experience.

That said, both classes took a recess for the summer and, while I restarted karate two weeks ago, I haven't gotten back to the Judo class yet. I miss it. I loved it and I'm still considering going back, but karate two nights a week and Judo two nights a week with work and then a 2nd job on the weekends... It's just too much. I started dreading going towards the end of last year not because I didn't like it (I loved it), but because I was just exhausted and needed a rest. So that's something to consider, too. Some people can do it and not bat an eyelash. I don't think I'm one of those people.

A change is as good as a rest; training outside your usual style is a good thing; it can give you a new perspective and a powerful new arsenal of technique. On the other hand you might find that chasing two rabbits leaves you hungry.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

I am going to go against the grain here and say I think you should stick out karate until go get your Shodan. Focus all your energy into that, and then think about taking up Judo.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

I'm a huge fan of cross training whenever possible in styles that give you different outlooks and skill sets. The only question is "can I fit it into my schedule"

If the answer is yes, go for it. And be prepared for your latest addiction.

Train the other art as well. It will only make you better in the long term.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Thanks all. Some really good advice and reassuring to hear from more experienced karate-ka.

I am off to a beginners BJJ tonight. :)

Have fun. Let us know what you think. My background is Chuan Fa/Karate/ and JJJ and BJJ. I really like the combination they make in my fighting.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."