• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What Are You More A Proponent Of??

Having the Art or the "Do" doesn't mean it is not effective; while you can argue that styles such as Sombo and Krav Maga have been tested in a combat or real self defense situation, the Bunkai of Okinawan Kata is artistic but born from practicality. This is why we still have it. Okinawan Karateka fought for their lives in the same context as Russian or Israeli troops, it was just a different era. I am alive due to my training, it's not just the technique; it's the spirit and depth of mind. Karate is not a lesser system because it is an art, the application is the key. I studied Russian Sombo for 3 months, I have experienced the aggression and power of a warrior who throws you into the floor hard, really hard. But the look in the eye of master karateka just before he counters with blinding speed and a calm power is just as valid, if not more so as you are so proud of him too.

Solid post!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having the Art or the "Do" doesn't mean it is not effective; while you can argue that styles such as Sombo and Krav Maga have been tested in a combat or real self defense situation, the Bunkai of Okinawan Kata is artistic but born from practicality. This is why we still have it. Okinawan Karateka fought for their lives in the same context as Russian or Israeli troops, it was just a different era. I am alive due to my training, it's not just the technique; it's the spirit and depth of mind. Karate is not a lesser system because it is an art, the application is the key. I studied Russian Sombo for 3 months, I have experienced the aggression and power of a warrior who throws you into the floor hard, really hard. But the look in the eye of master karateka just before he counters with blinding speed and a calm power is just as valid, if not more so as you are so proud of him too.

Solid post!!

Yes! Agreed... :karate:

Remember the Tii!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

• 1 month later...

Give me proper execution. Make it work!!

The past is no more; the future is yet to come. Nothing exist except for the here and now. Our grand business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what's clearly is clearly at hand...Lets continue to train!

I'll take effectiveness any day of the week. My job as an instructor is to teach the proper technique but if it works it works. Most times effectiveness extends from knowing the technique and making it work for you. I make it a point to teach my students the way our system does it and then stress that if they're ever (and hopefully not) in a physical encounter that they do what they know works, regardless of whether or not it is orthodox to the system.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Hmmmm - proper execution or effectiveness - let me give you my 3 cents worth. Much in life is learned by experience - we all go to school and learn proper execution - in the medical field - accounting - law and so on....... And then we go out into the REAL WORLD and with our proper execution we now must be effective - A salesman must wine and dine a client and $$$$ to get the contract. A surgeon while learning proper execution must now operate and be effective in his/or her surgeries. A well trained Martial Artist get into a fight with several individuals - picks up a weapon ( a stick, bat, chair .......) and smashes/hits his assailants over the head and walks away. Is it proper execution or just survival - being effective - getting the job done no matter what? IMHO - its all intertwined. Just my 3 cents.

I'll take effectiveness any day of the week. My job as an instructor is to teach the proper technique but if it works it works. Most times effectiveness extends from knowing the technique and making it work for you. I make it a point to teach my students the way our system does it and then stress that if they're ever (and hopefully not) in a physical encounter that they do what they know works, regardless of whether or not it is orthodox to the system.

Solid post!!

Hmmmm - proper execution or effectiveness - let me give you my 3 cents worth. Much in life is learned by experience - we all go to school and learn proper execution - in the medical field - accounting - law and so on....... And then we go out into the REAL WORLD and with our proper execution we now must be effective - A salesman must wine and dine a client and $$$$ to get the contract. A surgeon while learning proper execution must now operate and be effective in his/or her surgeries. A well trained Martial Artist get into a fight with several individuals - picks up a weapon ( a stick, bat, chair .......) and smashes/hits his assailants over the head and walks away. Is it proper execution or just survival - being effective - getting the job done no matter what? IMHO - its all intertwined. Just my 3 cents.

Good points here. Effectiveness and the ability to execute become better as we apply them through our experiences. Therefore, the more experience we have, the more effective our execution can become.

Good points here. Effectiveness and the ability to execute become better as we apply them through our experiences. Therefore, the more experience we have, the more effective our execution can become.

Solid post!! :up: :up: :up: