• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Training at two different clubs/dojos?

Hi, I wanted to ask your opinions on the possibility of training at two different schools (in the same MA)...

I've been a member of my current karate school for around 2 years and it's extremely convenient for me. However recently I've been getting a bit 'deeper' into karate and learning more about the art, if you like, rather than just the physical fitness. In short, it's becoming more than a hobby.

Looking into this, I'm starting to have some reservations about the club I'm in; I've sensed a shift in priorities lately and feel that more emphasis is being put on getting the seniors up their grades as quickly as possible in order to reduce the amount of time Sensei has to teach (most of the seniors instruct). Although this is completely voluntary and seniors who are sempai don't pay for lessons, the way in which it's happened didn't seem to involve much choice for the students who are no longer taught by an experienced black belt (in some cases they are being taught by lower grades than themselves). I'm often questioned by my students who want to know when/why Sensei isn't coming back, and I'm not sure how to answer them. My training-teaching ratio has also reduced in favour of teaching. Now, I don't necessarily want to leave my school, because I do like our Sensei and feel very close to both my peers and students- they're like my family in some ways. But I don't feel like I am getting all of what I need from it.

I have done a bit of research online and it is very hard to find what looks like a decent karate dojo in my area, although I have found one that looks serious and "authentic" about 20 miles away who offer lessons on Saturdays. Since I don't normally train on a Saturday, I'd like to try it out and am wondering if it would add another dimension to my training. However, I don't know if it is right to train at two different schools and if it would be a betrayal in some ways. There's no question of me switching to this new school completely: it's too far away from home/work and the lesson times aren't right for me to train more than once a week, and like I said I feel I have a connection and obligation to my peers and students at my current school.

Apologies for this being a bit long... have to say though it feels good to get it off my chest! Any advice much appreciated.

Edited by tsuru24

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

This is a tricky one, I train with two Sensei, but it's the same association and the guys are brothers. I find some rivalry, but all in good humor, most of the time :P

Look to the far mountain and see all.

When I was training for my shodan many years ago, I was training at 2 clubs from different associations, both Shotokan Karate, but one was KUGB and the other was EKGB (Now EKF I believe). The additional training assisted me in my stamina and fitness, the only issue I experienced was a few differences in how the kata are performed.

It certainly opens your eyes to different ways of training and performing certain techniques though.

I say - Do what you need to do to fulfil your training needs.

The MA journey is largely an individual one, and your students will, from what you have said above, gain more from you increasing your knowledge.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

I train at two different dojos, although in my case both are the same organization (ISKF). The closer (2km from my house) dojo is smaller and only has training 3 days a week, while the other one is a good 25-30 min drive but much larger and has training every day but Friday. I am a complete addict and wanted to train more often, so I started creeping over to the other dojo. At first I would just pay a drop in fees a couple of times a month and then eventually over the course of about 18 months I reached the point where I was going there often enough to justify the monthly membership. Both Senseis are aware that I train at both places and support it.

I don't think there is anything wrong with seeking out another dojo on Saturdays, particularly as you said you don't normally train then. I find that training with different people is very valuable as everyone as different methods of teaching, and sometimes somebody explains something in a slightly different way and it clicks for you. Different instructors also have their own individual pet peeves, and you might find in the new dojo that you are being corrected on things that go unnoticed in your regular dojo, and that can only serve to make you better overall.

However, whether or not you tell your current Sensei right away that you are training elsewhere is a bit trickier. One would hope that your Sensei would support your decision to learn more and deepen your knowledge, but Senseis are people and subject to hurt feelings like everyone else. You definitely don't want your Sensei to hear about you training at another dojo from anyone other than you though! Perhaps give the new place a try for a few weeks and if you think you like it enough to continue then broach the topic with your current Sensei.

If you had a situation where it was two different arts, then the whole situation becomes easy. Of course you could, and should, train at a second facility.

Within the same art does become a bit more hazy. Some instructors would be okay with this, others would not. If it's a one day a week outing due to scheduling or a lack of class on that day at your club that makes it very doable. If your club has Sat classes already then you might be in for some drama. This does not mean that it's not worth it, just something to keep in mind.

The biggest thing about the situation you might be getting into is being up front with all parties involved. Your coach needs to know about it. He's spent all kinds of time getting you to where you are, you owe that to him. The instructor at the school that you'll be going to needs to know as well. He needs to know where you're coming from and where your final allegiance lies. He needs to know that as he will be sinking time into you as well. It's better if everyone is on board early.

Besides one or both of them might say no, that would make the decision for you either to not train at the second school or move schools altogether if you don't like that training attitude (but it sounds as if changing schools won't happen due to your training schedule). Either way, keep them both informed on what you're thinking.

I'm a big believer in cross training and training with other instructors. However, there's a lot of people who don't feel that way and it's best to know that before embarking on this sort of thing.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Ah good, I'm glad the general consensus is that there are advantages to training with two different schools/instructors, because that's what I was feeling. I also think that like some of you have mentioned, it's probably better to get it out in the open.

The issue is just finding the right time/way to broach the subject with Sensei. If I explain it in terms of increasing my knowledge being a benefit for everyone I think he'll understand. And of course depending on if the other school will take me!

Your training should come first. However, I think you'll find it difficult not to have some carryover, on both sides, of knowledge from one school to the other. That's not necessarily a bad thing. But it's not often a welcome thing.

Tough situation. Good luck.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

As I'm always saying...

It's your MA journey, and in that, you're in control of your MA journey!! Yes, I concur, the situation you're in is a tricky one, but a doable one; follow your heart!!

Nonetheless, you need to be honest and up front with everyone, especially with yourself, no matter what. Students deserve that on and off the floor from you.

Now, getting the Seniors up in their grades "as quickly as possible in order to reduce the amount of time Sensei has to teach" is, imho, a disaster in the making. Rank shouldn't ever be before knowledge and the like, no matter what because it begets rank as the only reason why one does the MA. Please avoid this for the sake of your students betterment.

Good luck!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

There are a couple of martial arts instruction issues here. One is whether the martial arts studio is right for you any longer. The other is whether it is a good idea to train with multiple instructors.

To the first topic, it is unfortunately common for dojos to have relatively junior people instructing. In my humble opinion, beginners should be trained by the most experienced instructors. A bad habit picked early in martial arts can prove very difficult to change later.

On the second topic -- I think that one greatly benefits from finding a good martial arts instructor and then sticking with him or her. As the Chinese proverb goes: chase two rabbits and you will get none. A good martial arts instructor who is dedicated to the student's development is a huge asset.

Good luck!