• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Could i learn Muay Thai quick?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

No it dosen't take long at all, you can be an effective fighter in only 6 months of training. Now Muay Thai dosen't teach self-defence in weapon attacks, or having a "set way" of ecaping a hold (choke, bearhug...) but though the techniques of Muay Thai you should still be able to hold your own.

http://www.coolshack.com/martial_arts/mauy_wall.jpg

Limits Are Not Accepted. They Are Elbowed, Kicked And Punched.

Hello, I would have to agree. I have been taking Muay Thai classes for about 3 months and I go to the club 2-3 times a week and I feel that I feel that I have learned lots of self defense moves that would help me if I ever needed to. I also take some wrestling classes in order to learn some of the groundwork. It has been great! :wink:

• 3 weeks later...
Cross training is definitely the way to go.

It takes sacrifice to be the best.

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

Define self-defense.

One of the more "showy" features about Muay Thai, is that it doesn't take long time to learn it, you can learn it quickly (of course, it varies from person to person, but generally).

Muay Thai doesn't teach you how to deffend against a knife attack, or something like that, it's only oriented to "fight".

Valencia - Venezuela.

Muay thai is one of the best fighting arts. So yes it will defintely help with self defense. And I think Vene is right, generally muay thai doesn't teach weapon defenses. But if you want to learn how to defend against weapons, you should do eskrima or something. I seriously doubt doing knife defenses a few times a month in some karate class is going to help. Doing an art that revolves around weapon fighting should, and even then it might not help much. Ya know.. thats why you don't make enemies. :)

• 6 months later...
how long does it take to get a blackbelt?

They dont have black belts the only Belts MT fighters get are the ones the earn in the ring. that way no one can question whether you really earned it.

IF you are looking for a quick self defense system i would also suggest looking into Krav Maga if there is one in your area.

https://www.kravmaga.com

has a location list.