• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Fighting styles - not Ryu, fast static, fluid ...

I'm a _ _ _ _ _ _ type of fighter!  

18 members have voted

1. 1. I'm a _ _ _ _ _ _ type of fighter!

• Frightened Squirral - fast
    • Slow patient - machine
    • Patient fluid - fast
    • counter fighter
    • quick hands
    • leggy
    • Jean-Claude Van Damme is my hero!

In competition and the dojo we see and fight different types of fighter, each with his or her own way of fighting...there fighting style.

The actual Ryu a fighter follows does influence the way 'they' fight but in each system the are fighters with different styles. With some fighters you can tell from there body size and/or shape what sort of fighter they are.

Some are slow in the movement, like a machine and take each strike as it comes and they move in such a way as to try and crowd you out!

Other fighters are quick, fast they move around the ring/mat like a frightened squirrel and strike like a cobra! Yet others are patient fluid fighters picking there target and time to strike POW! Others are pure counter fighters, they wait until you attack and pick you off as you do!

My size and body shape leads other to think counter fighter, yet others see a patient fluid opponent, they may well be right.

I'd not considered how I fight, only how others fight and I adjust as bets I can to them.

A slow target is treated with care, slow is one thing pure power is the other side of that coin. So I'll move around strike as I wish, when I wish keeping out of range until I feel I have a reasonable understanding of them to then move in.

A fluid fighter is treated with care again, (no point offering up your ribs so soon) to gauge there speed to decide how best to get into them.

The frightened squirrels, them I crowd out cut the ring up into ever smaller pieces, mainly because more often than not I have worked out I cannot match there speed.

I've always say 'fight the man not the grade', and by that philosophy when I fight I present a different fighter to each opponent I face.

What about you, what fighting style do you have, or face and so how do you deal with them?

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I classified myself as "leggy," by which I assume you mean kicking a lot? I throw a lot of leg kicks and body kicks of various types, and the occasional head kick. I don't really do any flashy ones, Van Damme style, though.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

I'm not a fast person by any stretch. I went with slow, I guess like a machine. I try to be deliberate and not waste time throwing things that won't land.

I have pretty quick hands and feet, but I don't move my body fast because of my body type. Therefore, I am like a slow machine. I don't run around the mat when sparring, I don't flash in and out of range, I don't like to waste movements. Once I'm in, I tend to stay there and throw a lot of quick, powerful shots, followed by a takedown, lock, or grapple of some sort. I'm less like a helicopter or aerial fighter, more like a tank with fast guns.

:karate:

Remember the Tii!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

I've very quick hands, in that, Shindokan is 85% hands with 15% feet. The closer to my opponent/attacker, the more I'm at home; short range technique dominant mixed in with Tuite.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I classified myself as "leggy," by which I assume you mean kicking a lot? ...

Yes exactly that!

I'll add, I'm told I have fast hands today, where 'back in the day' I'd be told could use my legs better than some could use there arms!

Well today I can kind'a still stretch like I used to and use my legs well..... at least one of them anyway!

The one that is injured at the mo....:lol:

Unfortunately, I've only been sparring for a year now. Im more of a frightenned Deer in the headlamps type of fighter, not knowing what I can get away with.

I'll try anything, but will no doubt end up being punched square in the face, or worst ending up flat on my back. ..I'll go with the squirrel..haha

Wado

Strong and fast puncher, which I use to set up my kicks and throws/takedowns.

Alternately use kicks (thigh kicks for example) to set up for punches.

Im 75-80kgs, so fairly fast, but have learnt to use that to gain power.

Its not that I dont have quick and solid kicks (particularly head round kicks and spinning backs), but Ive always considered myself more of a puncher.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

Very interesting way to look at it.

I'd have to go with the slow/ patient. I don't like to rely on the counter fight. Nor to a blaze ahead. I look for my openings, or create them and them move at them methodically. As I get older, it becomes more important to spend energy only on what matters while continuing to pressure the other guy.

I work of the jab most of the time while circling to expose the other guys defense and work in from there.

Once we move to the ground I think this becomes more my style. I'm not a fancy ground fighter that spins a lot. I work to move up the positional ladder and try to start locking in subs that are technically sound enough that it does not matter if people know they are coming or not, they are still gonna come.

You don't do that by being passive, but you don't move fast a lot either. But being patient and methodical, yeah, that will do it.

• 1 month later...

With the 16th coming up fast ..... this weekend......! I've been watching the last couple of years contests. Sure there is the normal 'battering' punch after punch after blow after blow, push to win!

However, I do note that year on year there is, (trying hard to find the right terms) fashionable phases/'fad' for fighting.

For example; Last year was the year of massive punches. (At the 4th world title as a perfect example the Russians had that down perfectly)

The year before was the chudan kick combo, before that punches and jodan finishing kick!

Should be good to see how this year goes!

Not looking forward to finding out if the 'fashion' this year is steam train.....it makes for a messy fight!