• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Are your Blocks/Deflections Definitive; Absolute??

sensei8

To the OP:

If memory serves, the whole "one punch one kill" stuff started with Funakoshi when he wanted to make Okinawan fighting more relatable to mainland Japan. It is a nice sentiment, but I've never taken it literally.

As for the question of blocks...what is your question? Is this rhetorical? Just seemed to be general musings rather than a conversation starter.

Will your block/deflection END/STOP your attackers advances? This isn't a rhetorical question nor is it a general musing. If ones block/deflection lack stopping attributes, then there's no use, imho, to execute said block/deflection.

:)

Stopping attributes = solid mass + velocity + conflicting trajectory vs incoming attack.

Yes, my blocks stop attacks.

I still dont know what you're driving at.

Sometimes the media in which we're a part of allows the written word to not come across clear.

I'm driving at...Don't walk forward if it's not going to get one closer to where one is trying to arrive at.

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To the OP:

If memory serves, the whole "one punch one kill" stuff started with Funakoshi when he wanted to make Okinawan fighting more relatable to mainland Japan. It is a nice sentiment, but I've never taken it literally.

As for the question of blocks...what is your question? Is this rhetorical? Just seemed to be general musings rather than a conversation starter.

Will your block/deflection END/STOP your attackers advances? This isn't a rhetorical question nor is it a general musing. If ones block/deflection lack stopping attributes, then there's no use, imho, to execute said block/deflection.

Stopping attributes = solid mass + velocity + conflicting trajectory vs incoming attack.

Sometimes the media in which we're a part of allows the written word to not come across clear.

I'm driving at...Don't walk forward if it's not going to get one closer to where one is trying to arrive at.

I give up.

The martial arts "one strike to end the fight" principal does not conflict with a the "series of techniques" idea. While enough power should be generated so that each strike can end the fight, in both (Okinawan) karate and in its Chinese roots, there is a strong emphasis on flow -- a series of techniques. It was only much later, when karate came to Japan, that "sports kumite" came about. The sports has benefits although, as others have stated, its principals do not directly flow into self defense and street fighting.

To the OP:

I give up.

Don't give up! There's still hope for me :P

My question is this...

Are YOUR blocks definitive; absolute? OR Are YOUR blocks weak; inadequate? To the first question, you've said that they are!! Therefore, as I said in the OP, it's possible that this topic isn't for you.

Don't block to just throw up an arm with no purpose; Ikken hisatsu speaks TO ME just that!! Each and everything that I do, I must do it with the intent that that will end said attacker. A fling and a flair just don't cut it with me. If I execute said technique without the intent, then I just might as well not even try.

You attack me, be prepared to meet with my premeditated intent of stopping you, and in that, I will execute each and every technique with every fiber of my being until you're stopped, and in that, hopefully, it'll only take one, whether it's a block/deflection or a punch or a kick or a whatever else it might take.

**Proof is on the floor!!!