• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Are your Blocks/Deflections Definitive; Absolute??

sensei8

.......To move for naught is empty and useless! The only way to dispatch your attacker(s) is to exhume purpose with each and every technique and the like!

Are your blocks/deflections, in this case, definitive; absolute?

...you've blocked/deflected...now what?? Don't just stand there! Either attack/counter attack or block/deflect the incoming attack(s). If your block/deflection is definitive; absolute, then this topic isn't for you. On the other hand, if your whatever isn't definitive; absolute, then train "it" until it is, and then some!!

Jumping around for sake of moving out of the way is utterly worthless, you need to press your position, your advantage! If you have it to start with else you need to get the advantage fast!

If in moving you 'deflect' the attack, then do so to gain advantage, to open up the attackers side (ribs/face you get the idea) and then with purpose strike!

I make a distinct effort to say 'deflect' not block here.

To be clear to block the attack outright will work, no doubt at all on that point, they almost expect it form you after all! Do NOT drop this from your training, keep it up!

However for me I feel the deflect is the better option here, like Akido, I'm allowing the attacker and the attacks momentum to do the work for me, to pass me by!

To have them offer me more!

I was taught the ABC method; Attack By Combination.

Just keep hitting the opponent until he lies still.

To block an attack is to stop the attack, stop is the elephant in the room here!

We say stop but in our mind we have already queued up the next movement, another block, .....maybe with an attack on the end of that!

(A combination response if you will)

Why?

Conditioning, plain and simple we expect a second attack, a second punch or kick, the combinations we go over again and again, we fight using combinations so we 'expect' a combination in return when attacked.

So I say deflect, it takes 'them' past you at which point the second attack is lost your not where they meant to be so they have to reset...which for you is great your on the attack at this point! Ah no your not you went in to defense mode for the second attack.

Take the center and hold it.

No I do not mean the center of the ring/mat, I mean the area that is created by you and your assailant (Think Dirty dancing - your space my space..) take 'that' center.

Hold it control it, if you defend anything defend that!

Consider the block and attack backwards, in reverse for a moment.

Block as attack and attack as block.

To block an attack is to launch your own strike this is two actions, make it one!

As you block make sure you do so with the idea of hurting the limb of the inbound weapon....to attack.

A punch comes at you, we block it or deflect it...no ....do neither hit it!

This one sounds a little mad but truthfully we all do it today and have been doing so for ages, we simply do not realize it. We all react to the shoulder movement, so now rather than queue up a block, launch an attack.

Attack as defense.

As the shoulder moves, punch it!

Attack as defense!

Seriously try it work in the dojo in pairs, one punches, you defend by punching the arm!

Swap and repeat.

Defense as attack!

When a punch comes in hit the forearm.

Defense as attack!

You will both realize very VERY fast its not the power of the hit (it never was) its the pain from the repeated hitting of that spot on the attacks arm that has them consider other options, to not hit as much with that arm...there fast arm, there best arm.......ah your new found advantage!

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.......To move for naught is empty and useless! The only way to dispatch your attacker(s) is to exhume purpose with each and every technique and the like!

Are your blocks/deflections, in this case, definitive; absolute?

...you've blocked/deflected...now what?? Don't just stand there! Either attack/counter attack or block/deflect the incoming attack(s). If your block/deflection is definitive; absolute, then this topic isn't for you. On the other hand, if your whatever isn't definitive; absolute, then train "it" until it is, and then some!!

Jumping around for sake of moving out of the way is utterly worthless, you need to press your position, your advantage! If you have it to start with else you need to get the advantage fast!

If in moving you 'deflect' the attack, then do so to gain advantage, to open up the attackers side (ribs/face you get the idea) and then with purpose strike!

I make a distinct effort to say 'deflect' not block here.

To be clear to block the attack outright will work, no doubt at all on that point, they almost expect it form you after all! Do NOT drop this from your training, keep it up!

However for me I feel the deflect is the better option here, like Akido, I'm allowing the attacker and the attacks momentum to do the work for me, to pass me by!

To have them offer me more!

I was taught the ABC method; Attack By Combination.

Just keep hitting the opponent until he lies still.

To block an attack is to stop the attack, stop is the elephant in the room here!

We say stop but in our mind we have already queued up the next movement, another block, .....maybe with an attack on the end of that!

(A combination response if you will)

Why?

Conditioning, plain and simple we expect a second attack, a second punch or kick, the combinations we go over again and again, we fight using combinations so we 'expect' a combination in return when attacked.

So I say deflect, it takes 'them' past you at which point the second attack is lost your not where they meant to be so they have to reset...which for you is great your on the attack at this point! Ah no your not you went in to defense mode for the second attack.

Take the center and hold it.

No I do not mean the center of the ring/mat, I mean the area that is created by you and your assailant (Think Dirty dancing - your space my space..) take 'that' center.

Hold it control it, if you defend anything defend that!

Consider the block and attack backwards, in reverse for a moment.

Block as attack and attack as block.

To block an attack is to launch your own strike this is two actions, make it one!

As you block make sure you do so with the idea of hurting the limb of the inbound weapon....to attack.

A punch comes at you, we block it or deflect it...no ....do neither hit it!

This one sounds a little mad but truthfully we all do it today and have been doing so for ages, we simply do not realize it. We all react to the shoulder movement, so now rather than queue up a block, launch an attack.

Attack as defense.

As the shoulder moves, punch it!

Attack as defense!

Seriously try it work in the dojo in pairs, one punches, you defend by punching the arm!

Swap and repeat.

Defense as attack!

When a punch comes in hit the forearm.

Defense as attack!

You will both realize very VERY fast its not the power of the hit (it never was) its the pain from the repeated hitting of that spot on the attacks arm that has them consider other options, to not hit as much with that arm...there fast arm, there best arm.......ah your new found advantage!

Great post! :) Very thought provoking...

Remember the Tii!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

Seriously try it, Attack as Defense & Defense as Attack!

Punch chudan, we would normally block Uchi Uke (for example)

Don't!

As the punch comes in SLAP it down to the side!

or

As the punch comes in strike the forearm!

We use lots of thigh kicks, this works at the chudan level as well.

A Kick comes in at chudan level, you can't 'block' it with an arm!

(There will only ever be one winner in that exchange!)

Timing is critical as is speed for this one (yes we do train for this) knee strike the inbound chudan kick....aim for the thigh!

Look at this old long and extremely good video:

Some example times to view - 2, 4, 16 & 51 mins

There are typical thigh 'blocks', as in the kick comes in and the defender lifts his leg to block it, but note the hip angle and how that then translates into a punch etc...

(Keep the full on block training up as well as the deflections)

:)

Seriously try it, Attack as Defense & Defense as Attack!

Punch chudan, we would normally block Uchi Uke (for example)

Don't!

As the punch comes in SLAP it down to the side!

or

As the punch comes in strike the forearm!

We use lots of thigh kicks, this works at the chudan level as well.

A Kick comes in at chudan level, you can't 'block' it with an arm!

(There will only ever be one winner in that exchange!)

Timing is critical as is speed for this one (yes we do train for this) knee strike the inbound chudan kick....aim for the thigh!

Look at this old long and extremely good video:

Some example times to view - 2, 4, 16 & 51 mins

There are typical thigh 'blocks', as in the kick comes in and the defender lifts his leg to block it, but note the hip angle and how that then translates into a punch etc...

(Keep the full on block training up as well as the deflections)

We actually instruct in these things...at least, things very similar to what you describe. What you're sharing is actually touching the surface of some of the concepts of Te (Ti). I tagged your post "thought provoking" just to reiterate and bring more attention to it...

:karate:

Remember the Tii!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

• 4 weeks later...

In the old days we trained Karate as a martial art, but now they train Karate as a gymnastic sport. I think we must avoid treating Karate as a sport – it must be a martial art at all times! Your fingers and the tips of your toes must be like arrows, your arms must be like iron. You have to think that if you kick, you try to kick the enemy dead. If you punch, you must thrust to kill. If you strike, then you strike to kill the enemy. This is the spirit you need in order to progress in your training.” – Choshin Chibana (founder of Kobayashi Shorin-ryu Karate)

I am keeping this always in the back of my mind

Well said.

The difference between the modern MA that is taught today (sport karate for example) and the traditional MA.

The more diverse an art the more diverse the type of fighter you can come into contact with.

Some 'schools' teach fight, fight for points to fight for sport.

Other schools teach fight , fight to stop the attacker, fight to win!

Its as much I guess to with the law of the land as it is to do with the teachings, some dojos have no concept of anything other than there art.

They take it a matter of pride to be them and be all that they can be. Others want to learn the best bits of any art and make it there own.

There is no harm in any approach, it is and always will be down to the student.

To the OP:

If memory serves, the whole "one punch one kill" stuff started with Funakoshi when he wanted to make Okinawan fighting more relatable to mainland Japan. It is a nice sentiment, but I've never taken it literally.

As for the question of blocks...what is your question? Is this rhetorical? Just seemed to be general musings rather than a conversation starter.

I've never really done a block in sparring like I've done in forms before. However, with that said, I do think there are applications there. Its just a matter of finding them.

Sometimes a block will stop a movement (like a cirucluar type of move, like a round kick or a haymaker), or it will deflect a movement (like slipping a jab). Both need to have accompanying footwork to allow the defender to get into an advantageous position to counter. Continued attacks after defense is what I preach, as well.

To the OP:

If memory serves, the whole "one punch one kill" stuff started with Funakoshi when he wanted to make Okinawan fighting more relatable to mainland Japan. It is a nice sentiment, but I've never taken it literally.

As for the question of blocks...what is your question? Is this rhetorical? Just seemed to be general musings rather than a conversation starter.

Will your block/deflection END/STOP your attackers advances? This isn't a rhetorical question nor is it a general musing. If ones block/deflection lack stopping attributes, then there's no use, imho, to execute said block/deflection.

**Proof is on the floor!!!

To the OP:

Will your block/deflection END/STOP your attackers advances? This isn't a rhetorical question nor is it a general musing. If ones block/deflection lack stopping attributes, then there's no use, imho, to execute said block/deflection.

Stopping attributes = solid mass + velocity + conflicting trajectory vs incoming attack.

Yes, my blocks stop attacks.

I still dont know what you're driving at.