• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Are your Blocks/Deflections Definitive; Absolute??

sensei8

A karateka is taught Ikken Hisatsu [To Kill With One Blow] from day one; knowing that in todays MA world, our techniques are suppose to be executed properly, thus, as powerful as on can muster to and through any said point/target to stop our attacker(s).

We train and we drill and we do this and that an untold amout of times, and then some. Not because we're told to, but because motions are for the oceans, but reasons are for the seasons!!

To move for naught is empty and useless! The only way to dispatch your attacker(s) is to exhume purpose with each and every technique and the like!

Are your blocks/deflections, in this case, definitive; absolute?

If they aren't...

Then why pause or stop after you've blocked/deflected? Don't you realize that your attacker(s) wil be delivering one attack after another until you're defeated? Your attacker(s) isn't helping you to practice 1-Step Kumite; you're defeat is paramount to your attacker(s)!!

Be ready for each and every possible attack; awaken yourself and be alert at all times. One block/deflection will beget another attack from your attacker(s).

OK...Great...you've blocked/deflected...now what?? Don't just stand there! Either attack/counter attack or block/deflect the incoming attack(s). If your block/deflection is definitive; absolute, then this topic isn't for you. On the other hand, if your whatever isn't definitive; absolute, then train "it" until it is, and then some!!

Your block/deflection should stop your attacker(s), and it should only take one...just one!! But when it doesn't, you act all shocked. Why? Don't ever assume your block/deflection are definitive; absolute...unless you know for sure! Know that there's stopping power in what you're executing.

And if one block/deflection doesn't stop your attacker(s), make sure that the next one does!!

Save 1-Step Kumite for the dojo!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its difficult to puts things into words - but I'll give it a try. The one punch theory works - the multiple punches theory works. What works or does not work IMHO depends on whose in front of you. Do blocks work? - Look I cut in - I attack the attack and move out of the way. So I don't advocate Blocks per say. But I'm not going to say Blocks don't work - there are many on this forum who have probably used Blocks in a real fight and they worked. My Philosophy is to get there 1st with the most. The longer the confrontation goes the sloppier it gets IMO. One must end it quickly no chi sao - no sparring - no sport etc...... I don't advocate the stop go - go stop theory the one punch Kill theory. But I do believe in hitting with Max Force and if the 1st don't get in the 2nd 3rd 4th better get in. A continuity must exist -a flow. Body work @ Footwork s/b thrown into the mix. A few of my students are high ranking Black Belts in karate ( I'm talking 5th - 8th Dan ) The 1 step stuff does not cut it on MY FLOOR. In the beginning when the 1 step did not work for them they tried to recover by using speed and aggression - and that did not work. They kinda had to get rid of the old habits and reset their body and minds. Some things go beyond techniques. Just my 3 cents. Nice post SENSEI8.

All-be-it a style-by-stlye bias, this is where I think Kyokushin gives reality based strength to its proponents.

Not only are the kumite portions of the art based on "keeping on hittin", but the ido geiko and bunkai applications relay the same thing.

Unless your block is actually a strike ;) there better be more following to finish. In fact, just throw more in there for good measure.

Of course, then there is the argument about legalities, but hey, Id rather hit as hard as I can and walk away then be put into a coma by someone who has no regard for my safety.

Ill argue that to the judge later.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

Imo, the best thing about Kyokushin is the quality of the instructors in general, then followed by the physical fitness of the students. I never really bought into the "Stongest Karate" concept which I saw as propaganda to keep students from exploring other styles.

IMO a clean strike will drop your typical attacker regardless of style. I know that my strike don't have to be stronger than the strikes from another style. I just need my fist to be stronger than my attackers face, because upon impact one of the two will break.

I remember being critical of the sloppy punching techniques of my TKD friends. Then I saw them breaking bricks with their flawed punches and I quiet down real quick.

Back to blocking, I completely agree that on the streets a decisive block is a nice stern warning particularly when it temporarily paralyze the aggressors arms. On the streets an aggressor often tests out their boundaries by putting their hands on you and invade your space. A heavy handed block often draws a clear line.

In addition, if one is attacked by a person wielding a weapon, a strong block is the often the only way to break their rythm long enough to counter attack. The parries and soft blocks that one picks up during sparring will fail.

My 2 cents.

Great posts thus far, thank you all!!

How do you train for that difinitive; absolute block/deflection?? We, Shindokanists, do many things to address said topic, and one of the things that I do is block/deflect against a 2X4...and break it!!

Our hard blocks are always practiced in unison with a barai (check / deflect / redirect). When we kosa shime to prep the block, our one hand performs a barai, the other executes the hard block to do damage or break. We never leave it like that, either. Once the hard block connects, it's immediately followed by many strikes, or locks, takedown, grapple, etc.

Remember the Tii!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

Our hard blocks are always practiced in unison with a barai (check / deflect / redirect). When we kosa shime to prep the block, our one hand performs a barai, the other executes the hard block to do damage or break. We never leave it like that, either. Once the hard block connects, it's immediately followed by many strikes, or locks, takedown, grapple, etc.

This, as well as many other posts here, is what's happening because of the tempo and the like of today's karate tournaments. Hit once, wait for point...over and over...this drives me crazy. I'm of the opinion that this type of tempo will translate to the streets, and having said that, the attacker(s) will continue beating the tar out of that MAist.

Imho!!

the blocks and various kumite drills are part of the progression of karate ,

an upper block like jodan age uke starts out as a block and we are taught as beginners how to block and incoming punch but it will change shape and one day it could serve you well when in a tight spot you managed to knock your opponent out with an age uke under his throat and save your life !

I think we should not generelise and use the same brush on all , I don't know what those so called 5th dans and 8th dans have been doing all their life , If I call myself a 15th dan would you believe me ?!!

No disrespect but there are way too many people doing karate for status and ego satisfaction rather than training to improve .

there are way too many who have trained for over 20 years repeating what they have learned in the first 5 years !! and I am being generous when I say 5 years ! but they are quick to go up in rank for the reasons that I mentioned .

but 3rd or 4 th dans in our dojo would not look much different to two experienced street fighetrs facing off , by that I mean if they weren't wearing karate gis you could hardly tell they are karatekas !

Edited by pers

never give up !

This, as well as many other posts here, is what's happening because of the tempo and the like of today's karate tournaments. Hit once, wait for point...over and over...this drives me crazy. I'm of the opinion that this type of tempo will translate to the streets, and having said that, the attacker(s) will continue beating the tar out of that MAist.

Imho!!

Hey sensei8, I don't quite understand what you're getting at. Could you clarify for me? We're definitely not doing our blocks the way we do to train for stop-and-wait tourney sparring... :wink:

Remember the Tii!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...