• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Who that practices in Kung Fu San Soo can tell me what a "T-Leverage" is. I once asked an 8th degree and he acted like I had no idea what I was talking about, and he may most definitely be correct, as I have never had any training in that art. I done some pretty intense research into Kung Fu San Soo and acquired copies of the lessons of the 5 families that supposedly created San Soo. In reviewing the lessons that I acquired, I saw that technique "T-leverage" mentioned in several of them and I am kind of curious to what that technique is.

When you understand a technique, you know a technique. When you understand a concept, you know a thousand techniques.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm a karate guy, but this looks pretty legit to me:

That's San Da (Cantonese) or San Shou (Mandarin). It's the "free fighting" aspect of TCMA's in a sport organized format. In essence it is Chinese sport kickboxing.

This is Kung Fu San Soo...

Again sifu? Yes sifu!

• 2 months later...

Looks like something between Kenpo and systema. the strikes look ballistic, but the training method reminds me of kenpo. I'm not entirely clear on the effectiveness of ballistic strikes, so I can't comment on that. I dislike the training method though, as things never go as smoothly as in these drills irl, and if you don't learn to improvise a reaction through free sparring, you'll be in trouble.

It looks to me like they are doing high-intensity one-steps. I don't see any semblence of a guard, really. I do like the idea of the continuous striking until the threat is down. There are some very unorthodox movements in there, too, like the first individual's upward swinging blocking movement. I'm not saying I don't think it would work, but its a very strange motion to me.

• 8 months later...

I do San Soo. It is very effective, but hard to find outside California. It also depends which teacher you get, because there are two branches of San Soo: one uses a lot of very broad motions and looks more like something out of a kung-fu movie, and the second includes elements of modern styles like boxing, BJJ and Krav Maga. I've done both, and definitely prefer the second.

All in all, it's a brutal and highly effective art, and probably the best art there is for fighting off multiple attackers.

San Soo black belt, rock and roll singer, and world traveller. I help people find their dream jobs at johnfawkes.com