• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hi, new guy with a gi question

southernsontn

Well, I noticed quite a few gi threads, but not one about the specific model I'm curious about. sorry in advance if I've missed it somewhere.

I started taking Isshinryu Karate and Brazilian Jiu-jitsu about a month ago. For the first couple of weeks, I used my BJJ gi for both, and finally got my "student" gi.

It's a little too thin for my taste, since Im used to wearing a much thicker gi, and have started looking around. I really like the looks of the "XMA 3 piece traditional Gi", which comes with both a full and sleeveless jacket.

I've tried finding reviews online but haven't found any so far. while searching, I came across this site, and am hoping that someone may have used this gi and could offer their advice whether or not it's worth the money. Thanks.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

First of all, welcome to the forum!

As far as your question goes, I have never used that gi, but I have seen it at a tournament or two. In my opinion, it isn't worth the money. It's only a 10oz. gi, which is considered a "middleweight" uniform, but it costs over $100 because it has two tops. The tops are nothing special, except they have a pocket for an MP3 player, and the pants tie like sweat pants do. They are meant for demonstrations and kata. A middleweight uniform from just about any manufacturer will be just as good, and cost less.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

First of all, welcome to the forum!

Thanks!

The tops are nothing special, except they have a pocket for an MP3 player, and the pants tie like sweat pants do. They are meant for demonstrations and kata. A middleweight uniform from just about any manufacturer will be just as good, and cost less.

My dojo's BJJ program is an affiliate program of another school that produces their own gis. I have one and like it, but they also make a 10 oz ripstop version that can be used for both BJJ and Karate ( The jacket is a hybrid design, with the thicker lapel of a gi, but ties for the jacket). using this gi would be convenient, since some days my classes are stacked back to back, and on those days I tend to just switch jackets between classes since each class starts within minutes of each other. Another bonus is it would have the same manufacturers patch, which I'm a little OCD about, and the fact that the gi would have a more "familiar" feeling.

The only thing I would worry about is whether a hybrid gi like that would work well for karate, or if I should just get a "standard" gi. If I should just get a regular karate gi, is there any particular one you would recommend?

sorry for the long post, but I would like to figure out what would serve me best, since I know basically nothing about traditional martial arts uniforms.

My short answer to your question is that a ripstop gi would work well for you.

Now for the long-winded explanation:

The school that I train at has three core areas - old school TDK, standing grappling based on hapkido (think of JJJ) and yudo (Korean judo) and ground grappling originally based mostly on yudo and that we are beginning to work some BJJ into. Most of the students start off with a typical student lightweight gi and as they move up change to a single weave judo gi.

I get hot quickly and sweat buckets so I looked around and found a 250 gm (about 8 oz) BJJ gi from gorilla fight gear. It works very well for me for both striking and grappling. One of the other instructors went at it from the other direction and got a heavyweight 16 oz karate gi and cut off the ties. He's very happy but I think that if you do very much BJJ you will want either a judo gi or BJJ gi.

The only reason not to use a hybrid gi made of ripstop is because some like the way a technique performed with focus makes a snapping sound when a heavyweight karate gi is worn. For me, when I judge kata competitions, I ignore the sounds and try to determine focus by watching the way the performer is moving.

Edited by danbong

ichi-go ichi-e

一期一会

one encounter, one chance