• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kata Tempo?

vicotto

Thank you gentleman for your input, I feel better, now that I know I'm not approaching this incorrectly. In all honesty, I enjoy and admire Karatekas who perform there kata at lighting speed and perfect accuracy, but I'm also a realist! Leave it to the young'ns.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And let us not forget about the concept of Shu Ha Ri.

Kata shouldn't be placed upon such a signular plane because there are so many layers, even some that haven't been discovered as of yet.

Training tool? Yes! But not a definitive tool, nor is it a defiant tool either!

In that, I use a capital 'K' when I speak about Kata because it's not just a thing, it's everything to a Karateka and spoke about as though it was just a thing.

Imho

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• 1 month later...

In our dojo we do katas in the following ways

1: Go Ju Ho. This is the normal tempo where hard techniques are executed with power and kimae. The circular movements or some blocks are executed with more Ju (softness)

2: Go Ho - This is combat speed where all techniques and movements are done really fast and hard, without focusing too much on form. This is improve the speed and stamina.

3: Ju Ho - using ikibuki breathing ( breathe in though nose - out through mouth and breathing from your hara or centre ) similar to Sanchin kata. All movements are done slowly focusing on form and posture

4: Seida Ho- This is done with a Tai Chi like feeling where the movements are flowing and you move from one technique to the other continuously with soft breathing.

5: Visualisation - Standing in Heika Dachi visualise the whole kata using correct breathing, timing and Kia's.

6: Heiko Dachi - Stand in Heiko dachi and do the kata without the footwork -stationery.

In a nutshell, performing kata's fast is not the ultimate goal. The above mentioned tempos or ways of performing the kata serve different purposes for training. Our Shihan, who is over 70, does the kata slowly but they are still entralling to watch because of perfect technique, correct breathing and most importantly zanchin or intent.

In our dojo we do katas in the following ways

1: Go Ju Ho. This is the normal tempo where hard techniques are executed with power and kimae. The circular movements or some blocks are executed with more Ju (softness)

2: Go Ho - This is combat speed where all techniques and movements are done really fast and hard, without focusing too much on form. This is improve the speed and stamina.

3: Ju Ho - using ikibuki breathing ( breathe in though nose - out through mouth and breathing from your hara or centre ) similar to Sanchin kata. All movements are done slowly focusing on form and posture

4: Seida Ho- This is done with a Tai Chi like feeling where the movements are flowing and you move from one technique to the other continuously with soft breathing.

5: Visualisation - Standing in Heika Dachi visualise the whole kata using correct breathing, timing and Kia's.

6: Heiko Dachi - Stand in Heiko dachi and do the kata without the footwork -stationery.

In a nutshell, performing kata's fast is not the ultimate goal. The above mentioned tempos or ways of performing the kata serve different purposes for training. Our Shihan, who is over 70, does the kata slowly but they are still entralling to watch because of perfect technique, correct breathing and most importantly zanchin or intent.

Solid post!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!