• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kata Tempo?

vicotto

I prefer seeing powerful techniques over quick snappy techniques when Kata is executed. I understand the need for quickness for competition. But testing is an entirely different matter.

If people rush through their Kata, they'll likely flunk their exam because techniques will likely be poorly executed. This is magnified the higher the grade. People think that their Kata is being judged. It's actually their technique that is being judged.

Just my 2 cents.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm 54 years old this week and half way to my black belt in Shotokan. I, along with my Sensei have noticed that I'm pretty darn good in performing kata. My concern is...because of my age, I can't perform a kata at the blazing speed that seems to be the norm nowadays. Will that put me at a disadvantage when being judged? I see videos of Karate masters from 50+ years ago and they seem to have a much slower pace than now...what gives?

To the above bold type...

NO!!

Speed is content, but not everything. Proper execution of any said technique is paramount over speed. Don't fret over speed and the lack thereof. Those who are speedsters now, just might slow down as they age.

Has your Sensei addressed your speed negatively? I suppose that he/sho hasn't, and in that, his/her opinion is the only one that matters, imho.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I think that it is a mistake to try to rattle through a kata at "practical application speed".

At the risk of sounding like an old hippy, a well performed kata displays intensity, artism and soul. To achieve these things, one needs to vary one's pace as appropriate, allowing enough time to strongly visualise what one is enacting with crispness, strength and correct form, breathing and flow.

Don't push on as if caught up in a relentless current, take the time necessary to embody your kata, to really feel it. If you do this, your effort will come across clearly to those who are lucky enough to witness it.

I think that it is a mistake to try to rattle through a kata at "practical application speed".

At the risk of sounding like an old hippy, a well performed kata displays intensity, artism and soul. To achieve these things, one needs to vary one's pace as appropriate, allowing enough time to strongly visualise what one is enacting with crispness, strength and correct form, breathing and flow.

Don't push on as if caught up in a relentless current, take the time necessary to embody your kata, to really feel it. If you do this, your effort will come across clearly to those who are lucky enough to witness it.

Solid post!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I like training kata quickly every once and awhile as an exercise (along with doing it as slowly as you can, doing it backwards, doing just the upper body or just the lower body, doing it at different angles, etc), but I don't think the majority of kata are meant to be done at top speed as a rule. As some have said, every kata has it's own unique tempo that's supposed to be followed and more often than not, it's a fairly steady pace, although many kata have fast parts and slow parts-- sort of an organic ebb and flow.

But for competition I'd say go with whatever's going to make you look strongest. For someone lithe who can do top speed well, doing so would be putting their best foot forward. But for someone older or bigger or just more sturdy, that's not the best option. Your strengths are going to lay elsewhere. Always play to your strengths and the judges will see the best of you.

Speed is just part of the "expression of energy" that most experienced judges look for. Techniques must be executed properly and have volume/depth too.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

• 2 weeks later...

Speed ...youth...age ...power......

No, I'll stand with the traditionalists on this one. :karate:

Kata has a tempo, its own 'natural' speed, it is this that should be maintained.

If you are a big person or small, young or old, the kata is the kata and was before you were born and will always be after you are dead!

From my grading background for example:

Things I was tested on when performing kata was the speed I add, when speed was the point of the movement at that point in the kata.

Power at that point of the kata where power was the requirement of the movement,

BUT importantly the time I took to complete the kata.

If I was to fast I was considered to be lacking in commitment to the kata execution, as taking to long was considered to show a lack of confidence to perform the kata at all!

katas like Taikyoku sono ni or Pinan Sono yon, when performed will take x seconds to complete, as will the high grade katas, Tensho, Garyu, etc etc

If you have not missed a technique, or lost speed or not demonstrated power as required you will finish faster/slower than you should, there can only be one conclusion from this (other than you missed something) and that is you missed a valuable point for the kata.

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.

There are multiple components in a well performed kata. To perform the techniques correctly and in the correct order is among the first consideration. Focus, power and stances are also things looked for. I have seen few perform kata at a rapid pace that did not look sloppy. Focus and power are much better to strive for than speed.

There are multiple components in a well performed kata. To perform the techniques correctly and in the correct order is among the first consideration. Focus, power and stances are also things looked for. I have seen few perform kata at a rapid pace that did not look sloppy. Focus and power are much better to strive for than speed.

Absolutely... :) Great post...

Remember the Tii!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

hmm...can we have a poll on this do you think?

Some people post to support speed, to get to the end faster than the last guy....

Others to demo power and full basics

and others support the traditional tempo!

I'm interested to know if this variance in approach to kata in this or that Ryu is the true 'way' and documented in some way, or is it a change created from competition or something like that.

Sure I've trained with other Ryus, true I never graded with any of them, but when performing kata I moved as fast or slow as the group in this way i didn't stand out as much as I already did.

But in doing this to be told I had run the kata well as good as the others!

IFK - kyokushin kata is done with a known time to complete the kata, its tempo.

This is documented in the kata books and the way we are taught any kata in any dojo.

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.