Dianna

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I practice in my Yard, I use a wall bag at home and I do my Kata and combinations in the Kitchen. I train with a local bare knuckle fighter, we sometimes spar, but my wife doesn't like to watch.

I walk around the house c-stepping because for some reason my feet don't want to work the right way and me trying to move without making noise, not easy, I can't sneak up on anyone...no ninja here LOL

Lol... Yeah, as you get more into your MA journey, you'll find yourself breaking out in sporadic block, check, strike, etc combos going around the house doing your normal day routine. :)

What's even funnier, IMHO, is when you will be at the supermarket or the like, you'll be looking at items or whatever, and, all of a sudden, your arms break out into block, check, strike combos seemingly of their own mind...lol... and, then, people around you look at you like you're hallucinating or something...lol...:P It's happened to me too many times...lol... :lol:

Belt testing is today(not for me, not enough classes and not ready, so have to to wait till Dec). I was happy with myself when they had the white belts aside to go over what they needed for testing today and I knew it all and that made me realize I am actually learning something and the practicing is paying off. I was walking around last night doing cat stance. LOL My balance is horrible but working on it. My boys ask why I am always doing blocks around the house. Shoot, not like I can get them to stop(they belt test today!!), we have to keep them from doing blocks and kicks in stores and everywhere else. Cracks me up.

Ah... That's great to hear you're sponging the information and getting better. The balance thing will work itself out. :)

Lol... Looks like you're already experiencing the sporadic karate move syndrome... :lol: Glad you're taking it well...

Good luck to you and your boys on your tests! :karate:

Remember the Tii!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

Ok, only going into my third class this morning. Wish I could take a few classes a day, never felt so good in my life after I walk out of class. How do I practice at home without spending tons of money on pads(my husband would have a cow)? I have been practicing basic blocks and stances, but then worried I practice wrong, since there is no instruction. Worried I will practice myself into doing it wrong.

Did a lot of kicks with feet, knees and elbows last night. I want to be able to practice that.

A bit overwhelmed, remembering it all and getting it down.

You will do it all wrong...and that is perfect.

The goal of home training is not to only do it if you can do it perfectly, it is to simply polish your rough movements and build the synaptic responses so that, over time, your slow, rough, choppy, uncoordinated moves will become smooth, fluid, and quick.

As for spending a lot of money, you can buy a very decent punching bag from ebay or craigslist for under $100 - he shouldn't raise a fuss about something cheap like that.

Bottom line: don't worry about "perfect" (it won't be). Don't worry about getting it wrong (it will be). Just worry about putting your heart into each movement and you will do fine.

Great post :)

Remember the Tii!

They had their test, did awesome. I don't test till Dec. Seems so far away but that is fine because I want to do my best, if I don't do my best no reason to do it.

They had their test, did awesome. I don't test till Dec. Seems so far away but that is fine because I want to do my best, if I don't do my best no reason to do it.

Glad to hear they did awesome :) As for your test, December will be here before you know it. ;)

Remember the Tii!

Glad to hear they did awesome :) As for your test, December will be here before you know it. ;)

Just can't come too fast. I have my own goals of where I need to be by then above what I have to do to test.

Practicing at home is a great idea!

Reviewing and improving a kata can be a great investment which will reap great rewards later. You will learn proper movement, biodynamics, and power generation. If your Sensei agrees, you can work on a form at home, show him your progress, and get feedback and corrections for working at home.

Other areas for work at home are strength, cardio and flexibility.

I always like it when students work at home!

Practicing at home is a great idea!

Reviewing and improving a kata can be a great investment which will reap great rewards later. You will learn proper movement, biodynamics, and power generation. If your Sensei agrees, you can work on a form at home, show him your progress, and get feedback and corrections for working at home.

Other areas for work at home are strength, cardio and flexibility.

I always like it when students work at home!

Working a lot on flexibility and strengthening my core and then of course balance. I am the type of person who can fall over standing still lol

:D

Then may I suggest some practice standing on one leg, with your other foot held next to the standing legs calf...but with your eyes closed!

:o

Swop legs after 10-30 seconds if you can make it that far,just keep doing that. In your mind start thinking things through, that punch that kick you were doing the other session and so on....

As time passes extend the thoughts to full on kata, move through the kata in your mind!

:wink:

Sounds mad I know but this forms the basis of mental strength and discipline.

...and always enjoy what you do!

Have fun!

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.