Bailz

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did shoto at age 10, stopped at 11. Then started Wado Ryu at 31! I think as you get older you do realize that you get out what you put in!

That which does not kill us, must have missed us.

- Miowara Tomoka

I did shoto at age 10, stopped at 11. Then started Wado Ryu at 31! I think as you get older you do realize that you get out what you put in!

Spot on! We constantly pound into our students' heads that they will only get out of their MA training what they put in!

:karate:

Remember the Tii!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

NO WAY! I'll be 54 next week and half way to my black belt in Shotokan. In my dojo, my Sensei tells me I'm his best student. Half the students in my class don't like me because I'm always showing them up...so sorry, I'm giving it my best 'cause I don't know how much longer I'll be on this earth.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently began my Karate training, and had the same apprehensions as you had :uhoh:

I am long past 'ideal' age for starting martial arts, but let me be the first to tell you, it's a decision that i haven't regretted for one second. I've been training Kyokushin Karate for about 6 months and it is the best decision I've made. I understand the concern about flexibility; being in my mid 30's I too am not the most flexible of people.. but here I am, 6 months in, landing(clipping) jodan mawashi geris(very sloppily) on a 6'2" 17 year old during sparring. Go for it! You're not too *old.

Edited by KyokanRik

"Welcome to Cafe Karma, there is no menu, you get served what you deserve. Bon apetit!"

I think a lot of the 'am i too old' threads stem from the fact there are a lot of kids in the beginners classes.

I find in our Dojo, the higher up the Kyu levels you get, the older the students.

Some weeks, when I first started, I would be the only Adult in the class. I felt old then! Im only 30!!

Wado

I think a lot of the 'am i too old' threads stem from the fact there are a lot of kids in the beginners classes.

I find in our Dojo, the higher up the Kyu levels you get, the older the students.

Some weeks, when I first started, I would be the only Adult in the class. I felt old then! Im only 30!!

Ditto!

For reasons I am unaware of, sensai has taken to taking group shots of us after a training session!

Nice as the few of us with grey hair look to have dark brown hair which is nice!

Then he posts them to FaceBook...which is......um.... ...sniff... ...nice.

:rofl2:

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.

Ditto!

For reasons I am unaware of, sensai has taken to taking group shots of us after a training session!

Nice as the few of us with grey hair look to have dark brown hair which is nice!

Then he posts them to FaceBook...which is......um.... ...sniff... ...nice.

:rofl2:

So glad its not just me, unfortuantely as I'm in the minority being an Adult, I get a lot of the techniques demonstrated on me.

Wado

Too old? lol You're NEVER too old to train :P

"It's not the style that's important, it's the practitioner. No style is superior to the other if you practice and train hard, ANY style can be effective."

- Me!!!!!!!