• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Too old

Bailz

Am I too old to start karate? Been doing it about four months n loving it. I am 36 in two months. Thanks bailz

One's never to old, imho, to train in the and continue in training in the MA. I'll be 56 this October and I've been doing Shindokan ever since I was 7 years old.

The saying goes..."You're only as old as you feel!" I think this is an honest statement of encouragement for anyone, not just MAists. Are you feeling too old or just out of shape? Either way, age, imho, is what it is and nothing can be done about it. Being out of shape, well, execise is a wonderful thing all across the board.

Now...TRAIN your heart out!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I too old to start karate? Been doing it about four months n loving it. I am 36 in two months. Thanks bailz

One's never to old, imho, to train in the and continue in training in the MA. I'll be 56 this October and I've been doing Shindokan ever since I was 7 years old.

The saying goes..."You're only as old as you feel!" I think this is an honest statement of encouragement for anyone, not just MAists. Are you feeling too old or just out of shape? Either way, age, imho, is what it is and nothing can be done about it. Being out of shape, well, execise is a wonderful thing all across the board.

Now...TRAIN your heart out!!

I am not feeling too old, little out of shape maybe but at weekend I went to a competition and was placed in veterans category if I honest this was very disheartening once I found out I was the only none black belt in the category....I am 9 kyu so has you can imagine fighting a 5th dan was a little nervy (really enjoyed it though and learnt loads). I think this is what has got me thinking about it not so much the fighting but kata as these guys have had years to perfect them and I have had 4 months.

Thanks

Total newbie to karate but loving learning.

Imho, the Arbitrator of that tournament shouldn't have put you in that division because while you're almost 36 years old, you're tenure of four months only qualifies you to be in the beginner/novice/4 months training division.

Tournaments nowadays ask the competitors..."How long have you been training?" The tournament will then place you in the proper division. You, with 4 months of training, had no business facing anyone who had much more training, let alone a Godan [5th Dan]. A Godan has mega years, and a MAists with 4 months of training is no match for the Godan.

That tournament should be ashamed of themselves. Age is not a factor of placing one into a division. No. How long one has been training IS, and is that training been consistent, or has there been a lot of time away from the MA; these are important.

I'd not go to that tournament ever again because they've not asked the proper questions concerning you.

Hang in there, and TRAIN HARD!!

Imho, the Arbitrator of that tournament shouldn't have put you in that division because while you're almost 36 years old, you're tenure of four months only qualifies you to be in the beginner/novice/4 months training division.

Tournaments nowadays ask the competitors..."How long have you been training?" The tournament will then place you in the proper division. You, with 4 months of training, had no business facing anyone who had much more training, let alone a Godan [5th Dan]. A Godan has mega years, and a MAists with 4 months of training is no match for the Godan.

That tournament should be ashamed of themselves. Age is not a factor of placing one into a division. No. How long one has been training IS, and is that training been consistent, or has there been a lot of time away from the MA; these are important.

I'd not go to that tournament ever again because they've not asked the proper questions concerning you.

Thank you, made some good friends during the day including the 5th dan so not all bad.....

Total newbie to karate but loving learning.

Thank you, made some good friends during the day including the 5th dan so not all bad.....

Excellent!!

45 and kinda broken here. Goin for my orange belt next week! Never too old!

Way to go :) Good luck!

Remember the Tii!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

It is never to old to train karate or any martial arts I started Shotokan when i was 35 now im a green belt and when I moved back to Oxnard Ca I started kenpo karate and im a white belt but they night prmote me to green who knoes hehe

I love Shotokan Karate Do and American Kenpo Karate

I'm 41 and and started just about 2 years ago. It's definitely helped with strength, endurance, and flexibility. The one thing I was not expecting was how much it's helped with the mind. Keeping all of those kata and applications straight is a mental workout at times. Don't let that tournament experience get you down. As others have said, you should not have been in that division. The ones I do break us down by age (35-49 in my case) then belt rank (beginner, intermediate, advanced, and bb).

We also have a 70 year old man at our dojo. Early this year he earned his 2nd dan. He's a bit slow sparring, but has one hell of a strong kick still at his age.