• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Too old

Bailz

Of course all this is possible only with a good instructor and will power on behalf of students.

Yes! :) We tell our students, "You get out of it only what you put into it!" But, we also assure them that WE, as instructors, will meet them half way... We will give them the best instruction we can possibly give so that, when they meet us in the middle, they get everything out of their training they put into it. It's impossible to teach drive / determination...

:karate:

Remember the Tii!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, way too old.

Give up all ideas of doing sport that close to 40

Get some slippers and a comfy armchair

Accept that you are not in your prime anymore

You probably couldn't keep up with youngsters so shouldn't try...

What do you want?

I get all the attitudes above and some lame excuses how people "can't" do something. The rest are not worried about age, fitness, shape and just get on with it.

I'm 44, been doing MA since mid 30's, just earnt/got my Nidan, just given a lesson to 12 Kyu grades and a Shodan, kept them all busy, all went away tired and out of breath, could have happily trained harder for a lot longer.

Now feel like my day is complete!

I still can't keep up with my Sensei though who is 58....

I think the previous posters have covered if you are too old. Now for specifics, if you are talking about a shotokan side snap kick (yoko geri ke-age), it *is* very difficult for all beginners to perform, especially above knee height. Just keep at it, concentrate on good form rather than kick height, and work on your hip flexibility.

ichi-go ichi-e

一期一会

one encounter, one chance

Sorry to labour the subject but think of high kicks as the "end" position, for Keage side snap kick it can be used to kick up into the ribcage but often the end position is head hieght. Works even better if you have hold of their arm/wrist and pulling them onto your kick.

The thing about high kicks is if you do use them in anger against someone who also knows what they are doing then you will probably get your supporting leg kicked/swept and find yourself on the floor.

A good instructor and examiner will give allowances for us oldies with limited flexibility and anyone else that has disabilities or old injuries.

One is never too old - there are people in wheelchairs doing martial Arts. One of my students started Judo at age 50 - just got his Brown Belt. A few years back I read where a 37 year old was telling a friend that if he went to college he would be 41 years old when he graduated - so why go to college. His friend's reply was that he would be 41 years old if he went or did not go to College.

Never! I was 37 when I started and am now 40, got my brown belt a few months ago. I have issues with flexibility as well although this has improved slowly over time. I will never be able to do head level kicks but so what? Starting later in life has advantages as well, such as increased focus and self-awareness.

Exactly right ! Karate is for everyone and age group ,anyone can learn and train in karate ,they just have to adopt it to their body type , even ones with disability can work around it . we had members that had disabilities or were much less gifted athletically but after a few years the improvement in them was incredible , guy who could not walk after a terrible accident and was wheelchair bound came training and within a few months he was back in his feet , I am not saying he was back on his feet and training like he never had a problem but his physical improvment was amazing ,he was back on his feet and trying to punch and kick and block and doing his best .

Of course all this is possible only with a good instructor and will power on behalf of students .

I have just started learning the guitar in my mid 50s ,something I wanted to do since childhood ! I find it hard ,my fingers don't like to obey me and go where I tell them but I am using what I have learned from karate in the last 29 years ,using the same method to teach them , same way I learned to kick and punch and block and move and perform variuos forms (kata) .

Now I have to teach my fingers and co ordinate my hands to work in harmony and develpo calluseis on my finger tips < similar to the one I developed on my knuckes of my hands !

How long will it be before I can be a good decent guitar player ? I don't know and it doesn't matter to me much , I will just enjoy the journey !

You enjoy your karate journey ,even the hard training , it is not the end of ther world if you can't kick to the head , karate has lot more to offer than that ,once you get to build a strong fundemental in your karate you can adopt the best it has to offer for your body type and pyhsique .

GREAT post. I played guitar for a very long time and am new to karate...I found the same to be true as did you. Learning is all the same. You do something slowly and purposefully until it is correct. You then speed it up as fast as you can do correctly. Muscle memory in your thighs...is just like muscle memory in your fingers.

How interesting ! I wish we lived in the same town so we could meet ,you could have helped me with the guitar and I could have helped with karate !

In an ideal world I would have gladly exchanged half of my karate skill with half of your guitar skill !!

never give up !

huh! ....to old TO OLD ...Never!

36 you say...god that was a few years ago!

:wink:

I'll be looking to take my Shodan in the next year or so!

FYI:

Hanshi Arneil is 78 and still going strong!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Arneil

The UK Kyokushin summer camp wrapped up last week, he was full of beans!

To old .......never!

Get into the Dojo and enjoy!

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.

huh! ....to old TO OLD ...Never!

36 you say...god that was a few years ago!

:wink:

I'll be looking to take my Shodan in the next year or so!

FYI:

Hanshi Arneil is 78 and still going strong!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Arneil

The UK Kyokushin summer camp wrapped up last week, he was full of beans!

To old .......never!

Get into the Dojo and enjoy!

Always enjoy it lol can't wait to train need to work on my fitness more and keep soaking up my sensei's knowledge whilst learning the history in my spare time or whilst I am at work lol

Total newbie to karate but loving learning.