Bailz

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No way! :) We have a man who's 50 years old and a 4th kyu. He's one of our hardest working students. It's all about what you're willing to put into your training in return for what you will get out of it. Keep in mind what you're trying to get out of your training so your efforts put into it are worth it.

For instance, are you interested in MA for health / exercise? Are you in it for sport? Are you in it for self-defense? Are you in it to make it a life-long journey? These are rhetorical questions that only you can answer for yourself. :karate:

Remember the Tii!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

I am in for most of those reasons and am training 4times per week. I really enjoy it but am worrying about flexiness and my kick as I am finding this side very difficult. Thank you for your prompt reply.

Total newbie to karate but loving learning.

Never! I was 37 when I started and am now 40, got my brown belt a few months ago. I have issues with flexibility as well although this has improved slowly over time. I will never be able to do head level kicks but so what? Starting later in life has advantages as well, such as increased focus and self-awareness.

You are most certainly not too old to start training! Welcome to the forum, and welcome to karate!

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Never! I was 37 when I started and am now 40, got my brown belt a few months ago. I have issues with flexibility as well although this has improved slowly over time. I will never be able to do head level kicks but so what? Starting later in life has advantages as well, such as increased focus and self-awareness.

That is awesome well done and it is also the sort of thing I wanted to hear.

Total newbie to karate but loving learning.

Exactly right ! Karate is for everyone and age group ,anyone can learn and train in karate ,they just have to adopt it to their body type , even ones with disability can work around it . we had members that had disabilities or were much less gifted athletically but after a few years the improvement in them was incredible , guy who could not walk after a terrible accident and was wheelchair bound came training and within a few months he was back in his feet , I am not saying he was back on his feet and training like he never had a problem but his physical improvment was amazing ,he was back on his feet and trying to punch and kick and block and doing his best .

Of course all this is possible only with a good instructor and will power on behalf of students .

I have just started learning the guitar in my mid 50s ,something I wanted to do since childhood ! I find it hard ,my fingers don't like to obey me and go where I tell them but I am using what I have learned from karate in the last 29 years ,using the same method to teach them , same way I learned to kick and punch and block and move and perform variuos forms (kata) .

Now I have to teach my fingers and co ordinate my hands to work in harmony and develpo calluseis on my finger tips < similar to the one I developed on my knuckes of my hands !

How long will it be before I can be a good decent guitar player ? I don't know and it doesn't matter to me much , I will just enjoy the journey !

You enjoy your karate journey ,even the hard training , it is not the end of ther world if you can't kick to the head , karate has lot more to offer than that ,once you get to build a strong fundemental in your karate you can adopt the best it has to offer for your body type and pyhsique .

never give up !

Exactly right ! Karate is for everyone and age group ,anyone can learn and train in karate ,they just have to adopt it to their body type , even ones with disability can work around it . we had members that had disabilities or were much less gifted athletically but after a few years the improvement in them was incredible , guy who could not walk after a terrible accident and was wheelchair bound came training and within a few months he was back in his feet , I am not saying he was back on his feet and training like he never had a problem but his physical improvment was amazing ,he was back on his feet and trying to punch and kick and block and doing his best .

Of course all this is possible only with a good instructor and will power on behalf of students .

I have just started learning the guitar in my mid 50s ,something I wanted to do since childhood ! I find it hard ,my fingers don't like to obey me and go where I tell them but I am using what I have learned from karate in the last 29 years ,using the same method to teach them , same way I learned to kick and punch and block and move and perform variuos forms (kata) .

Now I have to teach my fingers and co ordinate my hands to work in harmony and develpo calluseis on my finger tips < similar to the one I developed on my knuckes of my hands !

How long will it be before I can be a good decent guitar player ? I don't know and it doesn't matter to me much , I will just enjoy the journey !

You enjoy your karate journey ,even the hard training , it is not the end of ther world if you can't kick to the head , karate has lot more to offer than that ,once you get to build a strong fundemental in your karate you can adopt the best it has to offer for your body type and pyhsique .

GREAT post. I played guitar for a very long time and am new to karate...I found the same to be true as did you. Learning is all the same. You do something slowly and purposefully until it is correct. You then speed it up as fast as you can do correctly. Muscle memory in your thighs...is just like muscle memory in your fingers.