• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Which style of fighting would be best for my body type

Hello, I just made an account on this forum.

I have been interested in martial arts for a long time, however I have never joined a gym or program before.

I have an odd body type, I am 5'11 tall, and have a short reach for my height 69 inch reach. This is very awkward for me.

What stand up fighting style would you recommend for me?? When I practice regularly I would say speed is my biggest strength because I am pretty skinny and my genetics have blessed me with fast twitch muscle fibers.

I can choose between Karate and Taekwando , since I do not have a car transportation is limited.

Thank you for taking the time to read.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Welcome to the forums Ruben. Taekwondo and Karate are very similar styles in that they are both striking based and in fact Taekwondo developed from Karate in the first place.

In terms of what is best for you, either would be a good bet :) The instructor and the atmosphere in the dojo should be more of a factor in which you decide to go with. Nowadays most schools will let you try a few lessons for free so best thing to do is go along and see which you prefer.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Check out all of the martial arts schools that you could possibly attend in your area, watch classes, talk to the instructor and some students, and try out some classes. Train at whichever place you like better. Your build has nothing to do with this decision :)

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Welcome to the forums Ruben. Taekwondo and Karate are very similar styles in that they are both striking based and in fact Taekwondo developed from Karate in the first place.

In terms of what is best for you, either would be a good bet :) The instructor and the atmosphere in the dojo should be more of a factor in which you decide to go with. Nowadays most schools will let you try a few lessons for free so best thing to do is go along and see which you prefer.

And from:

Check out all of the martial arts schools that you could possibly attend in your area, watch classes, talk to the instructor and some students, and try out some classes. Train at whichever place you like better. Your build has nothing to do with this decision :)

Ruben, what DWx and Wastelander advise are spot on. Not much else to add... Good posts, DWx and Wastelander :)

Remember the Tii!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

As mentioned, the instructor and the way the school is run is more important than the style.

Your user name looks like it has the zip code for Galt. I know there is bus service from there to Elk Grove (where I live). In Elk Grove there are several schools that I think are pretty good (I don't train at any of them, I go to a school in Sacramento). Private message me if you want to discuss specific schools.

ichi-go ichi-e

一期一会

one encounter, one chance

Hi Ruben95632 the best adviser, is your own body and mind!

Check a few clubs out see what feels 'correct/right' to you, and whilst you are there get a feel for the atmosphere.

If both 'feel' right to you, then you just found the one for you!

I know many people say that anything you do is only as good as the effort you put in, this is true.

However, what many seem to brush over is you have to like/love what you are doing first, else all you are doing is making something negative worse for yourself.

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.

I wholeheartedly concur with every post...solid posts, each one. Good luck with your desicion. Visit the school many times before deciding.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!