• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Naihanchi Ichi kata

yamesu

I was wondering if someone could shed some light on the finer points of this kata for me, as it has me intrigued.

I recently learnt this from a Shotokan/Kyokushin stylist, who explained that this is a relatively high level (read: Black Belt) kata in Shotokan.

Once going through the movements we did a set of bunkai for the kata, which seemed relatively standard to me (bunkai was as the kata appears so-to-speak).

For anyone who knows this kata intimately, can you please let me know what the finer points are?

What differentiates this kata from the Heian kata in terms of level of difficulty?

What bunkai do you use for specific movements that are more advanced than just the punch/kick/block kihon typre responses?

Thank you-

OSU.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I've never really understood why some styles label the Naihanchi kata as "advanced" or "black belt level." Naihanchi is considered the foundation of Shorin-Ryu (our branch of it, at least) and all three levels are taught before the Pinan series.

The basic pattern of movements is very simple to learn, and the applications of the kata are very effective and versatile. From a conceptual standpoint, the Naihanchi kata provide a training platform for power generation, fluidity, lateral movement, trapping, limb control, and close-range striking.

As far as specific applications, I like starting out with the "grab something and hit it" approach--the salutation at the beginning (open hand in front of your face, closed fist placed in the palm, hands open and press down, foot steps across) works very well for this. There are also plenty of joint destruction techniques in Naihanchi, which I'm quite fond of. There are really too many applications for Naihanchi to write them all up, though. Of course, there are several variations of Naihanchi, as well, and that changes the applications. Did you have any particular movements in mind?

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

In Matsubayashi-Ryu (Shorin-ryu), the Naihanchi kata are supposed to be learned beginning around 4th - 3rd kyu. The Naihanchi kata were taught as beginner kata before the invention of the Pinan/Heian kata (and Fukyugata for our branch of Shorin-Ryu). Back when learning kata was a three-year process, the 3 Naihanchi kata (or one grand Naihanchi before it was broken into 3) would basically take a student from beginner (white belt) to Shodan.

For our dojo, when a student begins the Naihanchi around 4th - 3rd kyu, s/he has from that point thru 1st kyu to prove to us her/his skill development in the kata. If s/he is able to execute the Naihanchi kata well (for 1st kyu), as well as understand the purpose and bunkai, then we'll teach her/him Ananku (which is our kata requirement for Shodan, but I digress).

One of the main purposes of Naihanchi, as Wastelander alludes to, is development of gamaku. Power generation is more than just hips (koshi). Part of the point of the Naihanchi-dachi is developing a good root to the earth. With this root, we develop tanden (posture / controlling of center) and muscle control of our body. With our root and tanden, we learn to draw power from the earth, through our stance (legs), channel it with hip movement compounded with muscle control in our body extending from our thighs to mid-torso (like a centrifuge), and direct it through the waza being executed. This is gamaku.

Part of the idea behind Naihanchi being done sideways, is that if you can develop gamaku using the odd angles of Naihanchi, then gamaku will be fairly easy to employ when in a normal fighting stance. Choki Motobu was famous for this kata, even saying that Naihanchi contains all the real-world concepts of fighting one ever needs to learn.

As Wastelander suggests, there are way too many applications / analysis of Naihanchi to list, and, yes, many of them are grappling related.

:karate:

Remember the Tii!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

I believe in Shotokan these are called Tekki Shodan/Nidan/Sandan

It's not a particularly difficult Kata to learn but takes a while to get it to look/sound good, even longer to master. The first can be condensed down to less than 15 seconds and is really impressive if done with speed and power.

It's true that its favoured by many as a real fighting Kata, especially if you progress past the standard beginners applications.

Think of the opening sequence as a right knee/kick to the attackers groin, then pulling the head to your right bringing it back to meet your elbow and so on.

It should be seen as a very close up Kata.

...It should be seen as a very close up Kata.

Yes... One of the other purposes of the Naihanchi kata (yep, "Tekki" for Shotokan) is to develop Iri kumi (in-fighting), so many of the bunkai/oyo reflect this.

Remember the Tii!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

http://shinrikarate.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/kata-analysis-tekki-shodan-bunkai-and_9.html

This may be of interest to some of you. (Got deleted last time I posted it as a solo thread due to it being "advertising"????)

In my opinion the difficulty in performing the kata developing the ability to use the hips correctly and effectively from a kiba dachi position.

Also the micro movements involved with the wrists and forearms to create power development in the close quarters blocks and strikes can be hard to master.

The Bunkai's finer points, imho, can't be garnered through this venue because you're there and I'm not. I believe that the finer points will be lost on the written words. So much so, that the finer points become more of a fog, then what they truly are.

It's, for me and for every Shindokanist, the Oyo that helps me discover and realize the finer points, and even in that, it's the already found finer points that can still be lost in the written words, no matter how well one can write so simplistically.

The difference from a Heian Kata to a Niahanchi is like, imho, separating the day from the night. Niahanchi is superior across the board to Heian, but in that, anything that can be absorbed, is effective and beneficial to that practitioner. A Taikyoku kata can be more beneficial to a practitioner that the most advanced kata due to the fact that simple rules the day!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!