• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

im taking new karate called kenpo karate

Hi guys its me ShotokanMaster its been a long time since i posted here and im a green belt in shotokan now but i moved back to oxnard ca my hometown and i enrolled in Kenpo Karate what you think about kenpo karate isit a great martial arts i know its by ed parker should i take kenpo karate or should i not and just take a shotokan class here in oxnard

I love Shotokan Karate Do and American Kenpo Karate

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

EPAK has a lot of neat stuff in it, and I think that even if you don't decide to stick with it you will benefit from it. A lot of the techniques you can learn from them will open your eyes to the applications of your kata.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

They are about as different as you can get style wise with Shotokan as you know being more of the traditional Japanese school and Kenpo well, not being so traditionally rooted.

As Wastelander states you will benefit from some of the things they do in kenpo, but I say that as a long time believer in training in many different styles to become a more rounded practicioner.

Whether it is for you or not, only you can decide, but give it a try. What have you to lose?

The day I believe I have no more to learn is the day I will hang my head in shame at my own arrogance.

Imho,

You should take whatever MA you want to whether it's Kenpo or Judo or BJJ or whatever. It's your MA journey!! Do whichever you feel is right for you. This is the only advice I feel that I'm qualified to give because it's your MA journey.

Having said that, Ed Parkers Kenpo is a solid MA across the board. It's had some internal strife in the governing body and the like after Mr. Parker passed away. This is to be expected, but it doesn't always happen.

Whichever style of the MA you choose, you've got my support!! Hang in there and rock and roll in your training.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Ed Parker's Kenpo has Japanese and Korean roots and is one of the first All American Karate Styles. I has good principals and is perfectly valid. As always it all depends on the teacher. But to be honest, if I had a choice between Kenpo and Shotokan; I would choose Shotokan every time.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

• 4 weeks later...