• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'm looking to get back into the martial arts, and I want a different style. I'm looking for a practical defensive style, and since I have certain disabilities, I'm permanently week and have very low endurance for an adult male, so any really physically demanding style is out. Just as important, and this may sounds strange, given all this, but I want a mostly striking art, with maybe like 15 or 20 percent grappling. Also I'd prefer to stick with the more commonly found styles in America. Thanks.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hapkido is a very efficient art, Korean, Striking, Non Competitive, Circular with an emphasis on energy development. It depends where you are in the US but it's just a suggestion.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

It actually sounds more like you need an understanding instructor than a particular style. I would check around and explain the situation to the instructors. See who's answers you like the best and go with that one.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Welcome to the forums circa1981 :)

What styles are available in your area?

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

To keep you in lines of grappling, Judo teaches a wide plethora of striking techniques.

Many Okinawan karate styles emphasis striking over kicking, and in that, they've a ratio of 85% hands and 15% feet.

Good luck with your search, and please, let us know when you find one or if you've more questions.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!