• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do vs Jutsu as applied to shooting

DWx

I came across this article which I thought might make an interesting read for some of you:

http://artoftherifleblog.com/do-vs-jutsu-as-applied-to-shooting/2012/02/do-vs-jutsu-as-applied-to-shooting.html

For those of you that do own a gun, do you pursue the do or the jutsu?

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Nice article, Danielle. Thanks for sharing it.

I don't own a gun, therefore, I can't add anything a value to your discussion, even though I can see what the writer of that article is speaking towards.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

That's a great article, DWx! Very nice find.

Considering that I do law enforcement, and the tactical side of it on top of that, I'd have to fall largely into the jutsu approach. Getting clean hits in critical areas at speed while under stress is far more important to me than driving tacks one on top of the other.

A good example of this is a drill I found (and promptly stole-story of my martial career) where the high center mass area of a target is actually removed, leaving just an open space about a half of a sheet of paper (a tad more maybe) right in the kill box. Now, when doing CQB work the goal is to NOT see holes on the paper. This keeps individual from worrying too much about making holes touch and lets them drive fundamentals quicker and quicker into a good hit area. This drill really started letting out team get more good hits off on target far quicker.

However, as with all things one can't get away from technique. The grip has to be solid, the press clean, and sights alined (even if you're not actively focusing on them), to make those hits.

As with most things, a good jutsu approach comes from do like repetition of fundamentalists.

Where the jutsu focus becomes different, from my experience, is when you move behind a precision rifle platform (sniper/observer work). Once you're back here, it shifts more to the "do" mindset due to separation from the target. Not to mention the waiting. And the more waiting. It become hugely more mental.

Not that CQB isn't. It is different in it's focus though. Mental work up close is all about controlling the bodies response to immediate conflict and working problems at speed without becoming hindered by the in your face distractions. Mental work at a distance is about precision movements, supreme focus over long periods,and finally the ability to break a shot when the mind and body are both ready to go. And it has to be when it's time to go- a factor not dictated by the shooter, just to make it harder.

So, there is some overlap. However, I largely agree with what the author is saying.

That's a great article, DWx! Very nice find.

Considering that I do law enforcement, and the tactical side of it on top of that, I'd have to fall largely into the jutsu approach. Getting clean hits in critical areas at speed while under stress is far more important to me than driving tacks one on top of the other.

A good example of this is a drill I found (and promptly stole-story of my martial career) where the high center mass area of a target is actually removed, leaving just an open space about a half of a sheet of paper (a tad more maybe) right in the kill box. Now, when doing CQB work the goal is to NOT see holes on the paper. This keeps individual from worrying too much about making holes touch and lets them drive fundamentals quicker and quicker into a good hit area. This drill really started letting out team get more good hits off on target far quicker.

However, as with all things one can't get away from technique. The grip has to be solid, the press clean, and sights alined (even if you're not actively focusing on them), to make those hits.

As with most things, a good jutsu approach comes from do like repetition of fundamentalists.

Where the jutsu focus becomes different, from my experience, is when you move behind a precision rifle platform (sniper/observer work). Once you're back here, it shifts more to the "do" mindset due to separation from the target. Not to mention the waiting. And the more waiting. It become hugely more mental.

Not that CQB isn't. It is different in it's focus though. Mental work up close is all about controlling the bodies response to immediate conflict and working problems at speed without becoming hindered by the in your face distractions. Mental work at a distance is about precision movements, supreme focus over long periods,and finally the ability to break a shot when the mind and body are both ready to go. And it has to be when it's time to go- a factor not dictated by the shooter, just to make it harder.

So, there is some overlap. However, I largely agree with what the author is saying.

As always...solid post Alex!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!