• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Does It Belong?

I could live with or without the bowing.

I think the bow could be replaced in most Western MA schools with a handshake.

I've been doing it so long now that bowing just isn't something I consider much anymore. I just bow. To me, it just doesn't mean much. Its just another gesture.

Sometimes at the school, some of the students forget to bow when I come in, or don't see me, or just aren't paying attention. Usually, another higher ranked colored belt will be quick to point out to them to remember to bow. But truth be told, if they don't bow, I don't go out of my way to make sure they know to bow to me. I'm pretty indifferent to the whole concept.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could live with or without the bowing.

I think the bow could be replaced in most Western MA schools with a handshake.

I've been doing it so long now that bowing just isn't something I consider much anymore. I just bow. To me, it just doesn't mean much. Its just another gesture.

Sometimes at the school, some of the students forget to bow when I come in, or don't see me, or just aren't paying attention. Usually, another higher ranked colored belt will be quick to point out to them to remember to bow. But truth be told, if they don't bow, I don't go out of my way to make sure they know to bow to me. I'm pretty indifferent to the whole concept.

At the start and end of each training session we perform Seiza-rei - kneeling bow.

My instructor always used to say Karate begins and ends with a bow and of course the issues of respect and courtesy always spring to mind first, but actually, it goes a lot further than that.

To perform seiza correctly (including the act of kneeling down and getting back up) is quite difficult.

Most correctly, it is done by lowering yourself from the centre - keeping your centre of mass in the seichusen. You are learning to maintain good body posture and core strength.

When performing rei, one also needs to have the radar switched on.

So, all these are vital to being able to perform karate well.

So we start learning them straight from the bow - thus a Karate training session really does begin and end with a bow.

K.

Edited by Kusotare

Usque ad mortem bibendum!

And as for Tachi-rei (standing bow)?

Again, if you think about it, done properly - it is far safer than offering somone your hand!

K.

When I think about it, I have to say, my practice begins before I even enter the dojo, or cross the doorstep. With mindfulness, that 'bow' is already there. Respect, gratitude, humility - all seems to settle on me even while climbing the dojo steps.

Leaves fall.

Quite right as well.

You bow on entering the dojo also of course.

It's an external manifestation of your mindfulness, alertness and willingness to learn - whilst respecting others.

K.

Some schools of the MA insist that the parents of their students, who aren't enrolled in class, bow in and out at the front door.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Some schools of the MA insist that the parents of their students, who aren't enrolled in class, bow in and out at the front door.

We don't insist that our youths' parents bow in and out of the front door, but most of them usually end up doing it anyway after a month or two of attendance... Their kids do it, they see other students (kids / youth and adults) do it, they see us instructors do it, and they eventually do it, themselves. Kind of a "lead by example" thing for us... :)

Remember the Tii!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

That's just silly.

Although we don't allow parents to walk into the dojo without taking their shoes off!

K.

Although we don't allow parents to walk into the dojo without taking their shoes off!

Absolutely... That's a rule that applies to everyone coming into our dojo, as well.

8)

Remember the Tii!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

Both my dojo and the Hombu each have a waiting area by each training floor as well as the main floor, and in that, parents can keep their shoes on while they're waiting.

**Proof is on the floor!!!