• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

TKD kicking speed

Yeah .... but I'm not teaching here monkeygirl :)

... and as far as ankle weights and cables (like Jackie Chan's gadget) and resistance bands .... well, they have their place in kick conditioning (but only for us upper-to-black belts :P ) One slip, one incorrect technique executed,in speed training with any kind of weight, and you're in for an injury! The resistance bands aren't quite as bad becuase you are more in control as to the degree of tension applied to the ROM.

There is much controversy in the martial arts as to the pros and cons of training with weights.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
training with ankle weights..definitely not a good idea.. i believe strongly in paddle drills..and even kicking x ray paper..kicking it fast enough to make a nice smacking sound..also bunji cords..and one of the best techniques for speed .. reaction drills with a partner....

Javier l Rosario

instructor taekwondo/hapkido

under master Atef s Himaya

"whenever youre lazy enough not to train .someone, somewhere is training very hard to kick your *"

I practice plyometrics with my legs to develop speed.

what i do is i cock my leg into a front round-kick(turning kick) position and lean against a wall. i then do 20 fast kicks without putting my foot down, making sure i bring my leg all the way back, so my heel hits my butt. (Remember proper technique is also a prequiste for developing power or speed.)Then I do 10 slow kicks..YOu'll really feel the burn. I repeat this on each leg. If you do this many times, the muscles in your legs will eventually relax and you'll feel like your leg is floating..try it!

Kinesiologist/Trainer

Black-Belt

Yea like Taezee said, bungee cords are a good way to increase strength and explosiveness in your legs. Tie one end to one of your legs and another to a training partner's leg and then alternate/take turns throwing kicks with your backs to each other. Couple this type of training with dynamic stretching before a workout and static stretching after a workout and you should be off to a good start. The more flexible you are, the faster and easier you can kick at all heights and ranges of motion. :)

'Conviction is a luxury for those on the sidelines'

William Parcher, 'A BEAUTIFUL MIND'

For the last couple of weeks I have been training for "speed" breaking (where, of course, kicking speed is of priority... and yet you cannot sacrifice technique for speed.

Among the kicks I was going to use to perform the required breaks were roundhouse and jump front.

My training consisted of basically heavy bag kicking and working on leg strength conditioning. I managed to increase the speed of my kicks in a matter of time! My instructor helped me most by telling me to envision my leg as a whip ... and I managed to nail my breaks first shot with such speed that ..... I nearly caught the other half of the boards as they fell from the air! (pics to follow :wink: )