• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Well, I was perfectly fine until the bell rang for the first round to start, and then I got tunnel vision. He seemed really far away, and then he threw a jab that I thought for sure I slipped, but then it hit me in the mouth and I tasted blood. That made me hesitate long enough for him to take me down, and he subsequently beat me up for the rest of the first round.

In the second round, I didn't have any more hesitation and figured he was going to try and take me down again, right away. I threw a lead leg roundhouse kick to his shoulder, expecting him to duck in for a takedown. That's exactly what happened, and he dropped when the bony knob at the top of my instep connected with his jaw. That was exactly what I planned on, and I had actually planned on doing it in the first round (I knew from previous fights of his that he was open for it) but hesitated too much. The ref actually told me it was a lucky shot, and I had to explain to him that it was completely intentional :P. There was some confusion though, because I threw it karate style (with a chamber) and from each camera angle it looks different. From one, it looks like I hit him with me knee (illegal in amateur MMA), from another, it looks like I hit him in the body with the kick and knocked him out with a punch, and the other it looks like I hit him with my shin to his jaw. I had to tell four people that I hit him with my foot, and the ref backed me up, because they wanted to know if they were going to disqualify me or give me the Knockout of the Night. I was awarded Knockout of the Night!

It was a learning experience and a tough challenge! There was video of it from several angles, so I'm hoping I can get some of that and share it with everyone. Here is me in the stands afterward--I'm a little marked up, and I managed to come down with a cold within an hour of the fight, but otherwise I'm fine:

http://s12.postimg.org/r81mjh1j1/Post_Fight.jpg

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad to see you survived! :) So, was your victory a "happy accident" or "intentional chaos"? Lol... jk... :) Takes great courage to do that... well done :karate:

Remember the Tii!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

A full write-up, with pictures, as well as the video my instructor's girlfriend recorded of my fight, is now on my blog! For those who just want to watch the fight, here is the link, and if you don't want to see me get beaten up you should skip to about 7:20 in the video :P

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Congrats! Awesome way to start your mma career with a KO

"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to go to his class."

- Choi, Hong Hi, Founder of Taekwon-Do

“If you are tired you’re not strong, if you are tired you’re not fast, if you’re tired you don’t have good technique, and if you’re tired you’re not even smart".

-Dan Inosanto