• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shotokan karate

Eye of the Tiger

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I think this thread could get a little hot. :kaioken: I had a little shotokan experience back in college. I came from a different style and I saw nothing but respect and solid technique. Maybe the sensei was just teaching it right. :uhoh: :lol:

I agree with this post. I take shotokan, and my school is not just for sport. We learn a lot about, not just the basic shotokan stances, but strret fights, jujitsu, etc. You should never stand in a front-facing lowstance while sparring. It should always be sideways, if anything. I do not believe this guy was teaching it right, and I don't think it's right to mock another style. Everyone should know that no one style fits everyones needs in any given situation. "There are no superior martial arts, only superior martial artists." :kaioken:

Grrrrrr,

Dee :karate:

Dee C.

Normal ( 'nor-m&l)-

an adj. used by humans to stereotype

That was one incident yes.

The thing wrong with Shotokan today is not the style but the people teaching it. In fact if taught the right way shotokan is one of the most devastating arts out there. But unfortunatly the pople teaching it today are teaching with LIMITED KNOWLEDGE.

They have learnt from the books and so a lot of techniques are performed in the wrong way and the fact that they 'hang' onto TO the technique which the shoalin monks would call sickness. The 100% to each technique is wrong, you should put between 60 to 80 % of power allowing the body to move. Round house kick for example should never have the leg pulled up to the waist and then kicked out in A robotic movments, the turn should eminate from the waist and the leg follows through. The long stance is an example of building leg strengh and is a further point of how people are teaching today.

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THE STYLE JUST THE PEOPLE TEACHING IT TODAY!

I think I'll make a similar post to EOTT.

"Today's ballet instructors do not understand the basic theory of the pirouette"

Of course, I know nothing about ballet........

"You Are Never Given A Dream Without Also Being Given The Power To Make It True. You May Have To Work For It, However"

Principal Kobudo Instructor & Owner

West Yorkshire Kobudo Academy

2nd Kyu (Matayoshi Okinawan Kobudo, IOKA UK)

Rofl, ownage and a half.

It takes sacrifice to be the best.

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

• 1 month later...
The thing wrong with Shotokan today is not the style but the people teaching it.

Please lets not put into so general terms. If you've seen a bad teacher, it doesn't mean all teachers are bad. In my short life I've never come across with an "unworthy" teacher, although I'm sure there are many out there, in all styles not just in Shotokan. There are many things to be blamed and we must take into consideration a lot of things regarding geaography, politics, society and so on.

In America you've got those "famous" McDojos. i've heard about them from you, because in my country there are no such things. Every style has got its "black sheep", but let's not get disapointed. You don't like the dojo or the theacher ... you move ... and find one that suits you better. It's simple ... Hope you'll find this one day :)

Keep up the good work and good luck