• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Well, the time has come for me to test again--this Saturday I will be testing for Ikkyu (1st degree brown belt) in Shorin-Ryu. There is only one other person testing, and he is testing for Sandan, so I really have no idea what to expect. Wish me luck! :)

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Good luck...have fun...train hard...RELAX...allow the test to take care of itself...

Besides, you'll be fine!!

:karate:

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I got to the dojo yesterday morning and spent the first class teaching some basics to a brand new student--she learned her first kata (Kihon Ippon), her first kata application (the first two moves of the kata), and her first self defense technique (Yakusoku Ending 1), in addition to learning how to throw a seiken-tsuki (fore-fist punch) and a mae-keagi-geri (front snap kick). After that, Sensei took the Specialty Class through several drills for covering distance, and then we went through lots of padwork. About 10 minutes into that class, I knew I shouldn't have been doing it, but I did it anyway :P.

After that, I had half an hour to rehydrate, eat a protein bar, and mentally prepare for my belt test. The test took about 3.5 hours, since it was just two of us, but it was a pretty rough 3.5 hours. In the end, though, I didn't throw up (came close) or give up (wanted to) and I now hold the rank of Ikkyu (1st Degree Brown Belt) in Shorin-Ryu as a member of the Shorinkan, and Danny Bowley now holds the rank of Sandan (3rd Degree Black Belt) in Shorin-Ryu and Shodan (1st Degree Black Belt) in Kobudo. Thanks to Sensei Richard M. Poage, Yondan, and Shihan Jeff Allred, Rokudan, for administering our test!

http://s21.postimg.org/q7f7gwhev/Test_25.jpg

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society