• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

hi,

you see lots of kung fu people training till they're like in their 80s, but is this possible for muay thai/kickboxing? I heard it wasn't, but if it isn't, why not? Is it because their kicks damage the joints or bones or anythin like that? or is it just because their training requires lots of strength which goes down with age?

another question. i know all of you consider muay thai a martial art, i do too, but does the general public consider it one?

and laasst question. :) how do you pronounce muay thai? lol :D

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

If you never actually had to use it maybe you could keep doing it until your 80s (there are some 70 year old TKD people out there who can still kick all over the place). I think all those people are crippled from getting the kimchi kicked out of their extremities fight after fight... or possibly the leg conditioning involved (making your bones harder makes them more brittle eventually)... or both.

Muay is like muy in spanish... thai is like thailand... unless I'm saying it wrong too.

1st Dan Hapkido

Colored belts in Kempo and Jujitsu

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think, all these Martial Arts that depends of strength and flexibility (TKD, Muay Thai, etc) when you are in a certain age, you can't practice it (them) with effectivity.

They can be very good, impressive, etc while you're young, and have flexibility and all that, but once you get old, you're almost over.

That's why i preffer martial arts that doesn't care your phisic condition, age, sex, et. Like BJJ :-)

Valencia - Venezuela.

• 2 weeks later...
My friend had to drop out of Muay Thai because it was hurting his knees to much so It sucks for him. It does tend to ware you down a bit.

when you do your best it`s going to show.

"If you watch the pros, You will learn something new"

I think the body will be damaged if it is constantly exposed to blows,

be it to the head even with protective gear, limbs or the rest.

You only have to look at some boxers who look like they are crazy.

I suppose you could have senior muay thai championships, that would probably be very funny.

Kung Fu and even a lot of the Japan arts allow you to do them well into you life because of things like Kata. As opposed to the constant banging of bone on bone in Muay Thai. It don't mean you can not still do it as you get older but you can not train in your 30's at the same leval you did in you late teens.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

I'm a 20 year old, Polish guy who's full of "p!ss and vinager" and I love Muay Thai! Sure I may not be competing in fights when I'm 30+ years old but their is NO WAY IN HELL I'm going to train in Tai Chi or Hsing-I at my age, I'll do those arts when I'm 80!

Now not everyone who trains in Muay Thai take the sport as serious as I or someone elsedoes, so not all people will be broken down from years of training, you can still train in Muay Thai till your old and grey, it just matters how serious and hard you train. The majority of the time I fight in MMA events because it's much easier on the body then Muay Thai fights, so has a result I get more fights in, with less injury.

Limits Are Not Accepted. They Are Elbowed, Kicked And Punched.

Relax and please watch you use of certin words. I love to see people as emotional but this is just a discussion board so please take it for that. We all have ideas we think are best so lets express them freely. Again please watch the words you use. Thanks

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."