• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Help with kicks/lower body strengthening (Big Man)

KarateCroft

Hi All,

I was just wondering if anyone could help me with giving any training tips on my kicks.

First off - I study two kinds of Karate (Isshinryu and Uechiryu) Both systems use low kicks, but when sparring we kick to the waist level. I can't seem to get my leg up or get it there fast enough.

A little history/about me - I am 345 pounds and actually pretty mobile/agile for a big man, but still it limits me. Also, I have injured both knees in the past and wear braces, so I'm a little weary about jumping around (for speed purposes)

Any tips on kicking or training drills or even lower body strengthening?

Thanks so much.

Karate Croft

http://www.damagezone.webs.com

Isshinryu Karate- Sho Dan|Uechi-ryu- Hachi Kyu

"Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power.” - Lao Tzu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

One of the most important things about kicking is lifting your knee up. As high as you can, before you kick. Getting into the practise of doing this will improve your kicks, if you don't do so already.

Gentle stretch kicks to the comfortable limit of your range of motion on a regular basis will help increase that ROM. Also, do stretches where you try to reach as far with your toe as possible from a given foot position and hold for 20 seconds, and also alphabets (lift one leg and write the alphabet in the air with your toe, then switch legs)

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

Unfortunately Karate is an impact sport and ankles, knees, hips and backs can take a beating. I know you've probably heard this before so I'll be quick, you'll need to loose some size to be more effective and safer on your injured knees.

Training program, strengthen your leg muscles, this will help protect your knees and eventually give you better performance. Also work on balance, wait for speed and power training until you drop some weight and strengthen you leg muscles. Once again, you need to protect those knees.

Weighted lunges and full ROM barbell squats would be my go-to strengthening exercises, and then be sure to stretch after each workout. I found that my kicking height increased as my hip flexibility increased by holding a low horse stance as a combination stretch/isometric workout, so that may help as well.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

With the front kick bend the knee of the supporting leg at all times, get the other knee up quick and when "flicking" the lower leg out clench your backside/butt to thrust the hips forwards for added power.

Squats will help build up leg muscles needed but if you have bad knees (and without trying to be rude) extra pounds, then consider training to match your body size and use low kicks etc. Just be careful not to stress the joints too much in trying any of these ideas.

I do squats and deadlifts. Plus both interior and exterior hip flexor machines. Suzanne Summers would be proud. Anyways I try to work 360 degrees around my legs. From my experience, an overall leg workout is better for me at preventing injuries as I age.

As much as I like squats, deadlifts, lunges, etc, the problem here is a history of knee problems. This needs to be resolved before KarataCroft can move forward. Heavy lifts and lunges, etc can make the problem worse before it gets better.

Right, the mass is an issue. Most of that happens in the kitchen, and I don't know what you are doing now. My main advice here is to buy smaller plates, don't drink soda, and keep a food diary. Cut out the processed food and don't get fancy food that makes health claims.

If it's low-fat, it has added sugar and chemicals; if it's low-sugar, it has added fat and chemicals. Neither is strictly bad, it's eating huge amounts of concentrated food that gets us in trouble, and that's very, very easy to do these days; people who are used to not having enough money can end up going way over their calorie budgets just trying to get their basic nutritional needs in other things met.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

As much as I like squats, deadlifts, lunges, etc, the problem here is a history of knee problems. This needs to be resolved before KarataCroft can move forward. Heavy lifts and lunges, etc can make the problem worse before it gets better.

I wonder if he can do the motions without weights. He's already 345 lbs. Slow and low reps can help rebuild the muscle mass around the joints.

The only other thing I can think of is that he not lock his joints when executing kicks. Fully extended kicks can wear out his knee caps.